Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need an Apple phone for fall detection?

My mum has a non apple phone, and I'd like to get her an Apple watch for fall detection. Is it possible to do so? And would an Apple watch 4 be good enough for this? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 8:14 AM

A GPS only Apple Watch will make the emergency calls via the iPhone as long as it is nearby or if the iPhone cellular plan supports WiFi calling and the Apple Watch is on a WiFi network it has authorized access.

A cellular Apple Watch has slightly different requirements depending on Series 4 or Series 5

Series 4, you need to have the iPhone using a carrier that supports the Apple Watch, and you pay a monthly fee of about US $10 (translate to a similar amount for the UK).

A Series 5 cellular can make emergency services calls without a cellular plan, but you still need the iPhone to activate and update and other services the Apple Watch depends on.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2019 8:14 AM in response to Nigelll

A GPS only Apple Watch will make the emergency calls via the iPhone as long as it is nearby or if the iPhone cellular plan supports WiFi calling and the Apple Watch is on a WiFi network it has authorized access.

A cellular Apple Watch has slightly different requirements depending on Series 4 or Series 5

Series 4, you need to have the iPhone using a carrier that supports the Apple Watch, and you pay a monthly fee of about US $10 (translate to a similar amount for the UK).

A Series 5 cellular can make emergency services calls without a cellular plan, but you still need the iPhone to activate and update and other services the Apple Watch depends on.

Nov 17, 2019 7:45 AM in response to Nigelll

You have to have an iphone to setup an apple watch,it won't work with any other type of phone.Apple watch 4 is good for fall detection and has been a great help for a lot of people.The cheapest option would be an iphone 6s as an iphone any lower than this won't work with an apple watch 4.

Do I need an Apple phone for fall detection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.