Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally closed all tabs on iPad, how to restore?

I use the iPad (iPadOS 13.2.2) for research and tend to have a lot of tabs open. Now I accidentally hit "close all tabs". With "recently closed tabs" I could restore 200 tabs, but I actually had even more open. Next I tried to erase the iPad and restore from the last backup (made before the "close all tabs") but it actually restored the tabs that were open just before erasing.

Is there a way to get the tabs back? And is there a way to undo the "close all tabs" if it happens again?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 1:46 PM

If you accidentally close a Safari window, you can restore it together with all its open tabs.

In iPadOS, you can now have multiple App windows (instances) of the same App - including Safari. With the new OS, many Users who have not learned about the new features are opening a second (or more) instance of Safari - and inadvertently closing (or simply hiding) an existing instance together with its open tabs.

If this happens to you, from your remaining Safari instance, swipe-up from the bottom edge of the screen just enough to reveal the dock. Don’t use the flick gesture as this will return you to the last used home screen; similarly, don’t swipe upward to the centre of the screen and pause - as this will invoke the task switcher.

With both the Safari window and dock visible, simply tap the Safari icon. You will be presented with a screen containing all the open Safari windows (instances) - and in the top right corner should be a “Reopen Closed Window” button. Tapping this will recover the last closed Safari window. Alternatively just tap on any one of the other open instances.

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend that you download and assimilate the iPad User Guide for iPadOS from the Apple Books App. It’s free - and will explain all the new features, enhancements and gestures of the new OS. Simple search for “Apple” to find all the free Apple User Guides. These guides are frequently overlooked - and provide a rich source of information.

I hope this helps to resolve your issues - and provides useful pointers to additional information.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2019 1:46 PM in response to Nickel020

If you accidentally close a Safari window, you can restore it together with all its open tabs.

In iPadOS, you can now have multiple App windows (instances) of the same App - including Safari. With the new OS, many Users who have not learned about the new features are opening a second (or more) instance of Safari - and inadvertently closing (or simply hiding) an existing instance together with its open tabs.

If this happens to you, from your remaining Safari instance, swipe-up from the bottom edge of the screen just enough to reveal the dock. Don’t use the flick gesture as this will return you to the last used home screen; similarly, don’t swipe upward to the centre of the screen and pause - as this will invoke the task switcher.

With both the Safari window and dock visible, simply tap the Safari icon. You will be presented with a screen containing all the open Safari windows (instances) - and in the top right corner should be a “Reopen Closed Window” button. Tapping this will recover the last closed Safari window. Alternatively just tap on any one of the other open instances.

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend that you download and assimilate the iPad User Guide for iPadOS from the Apple Books App. It’s free - and will explain all the new features, enhancements and gestures of the new OS. Simple search for “Apple” to find all the free Apple User Guides. These guides are frequently overlooked - and provide a rich source of information.

I hope this helps to resolve your issues - and provides useful pointers to additional information.

Nov 19, 2019 1:29 AM in response to Nickel020

Hello,

I have the same problem. I killed about 450 open tabs :)

I restored Ipad from backup a day before killing tabs, opened Safari, choose "Bookmark open tabs" (Touch and hold Bookmarks icon), then tap Add Bookmarks [number of] Tabs, give the name for it and choose "Save".

I looked New Directory with all tabs on my iphone immediately.

Nov 19, 2019 2:15 AM in response to MGG1972

The “Bookmark Open Tabs” feature is a very useful backup tool - in that you have the ability to rapidly save all open tabs in a Safari window (instance) to a backup folder, the name of which can be chosen during the save operation. This is a great tools for saving an on-line research session - keeping all tabs/sites of interest together for later recall.

Whilst this is just one of iPadOS/iOS13.x great new features, the save mechanism remains a manual process that must be done prior to closing the Safari instance. Of course, the last-closed instance can always be reopened together with its associated tabs. However, whilst the multi-tab save-process is manual, it is ripe for automation using the native Shortcuts App!

In summary, this is just one of the many new productivity features to be discovered through reading the iPad User Guide for iPadOS - and through functional experimentation - for those that choose to do so. Safari for iPad has finally “come of age” and is becoming a truly useful tool. Having learned a few new gestures, switching between windows (instances) is really simple and intuitive.

Going back to devices with earlier versions of iOS is just really hard work 🙂.

Accidentally closed all tabs on iPad, how to restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.