Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"p" will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash.

I have gotten the above error message a few times. The very first one said the file was "a". I clicked Move to Trash, then emptied Trash. The next day, I got this one for "p" and clicked Move to Trash. When I went to Empty Trash, it was empty from having been emptied the prior day. "p" was not in Trash. I got this one again today, so now I'm looking for solutions. I have seen another discussion about this and will do my best to follow the instructions in that and post screenshots of the folders here.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 10:35 AM

24 replies

Nov 21, 2019 3:48 PM in response to needsomehelpporfavor

Avira removal?

Two procedures are listed in the following, one manual using the Terminal.app command line and one launching the specified app from the GUI. Both use the Avira-Uninstall.app app.

https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000759429-How-do-I-uninstall-Avira-Antivirus-for-Mac-

With the manual Terminal.app procedure and an administrator login, launch Terminal.app, and enter (cut-and-paste) the one-long-line text line shown in italics, press return, and you’ll need to enter your password. But of the two options offered, you’ll probably want to use the GUI path shown on that same page; select “Uninstall via Utilities” on that page.

If you don’t have Avira installed, then the above won’t work. There might be remnants of a previous install around, I’ve not reviewed the whole thread here. What I do see in the thread is somebody else here that does appear to have Avira installed. If you don’t, then you don’t. These mixed threads almost inevitably tend to get confusing, too.

Probably want to start your own how-to-remove-Avira thread, though. If you have Avira installed.

Nov 17, 2019 10:52 AM in response to jollywandering

First of all uninstall all the Avira Anti-Virus as per the developer's instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system. Your Mac has all the built-in protection you need.

macOS - Security - Apple

The only exception if you do pick up some adware like this is Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac. It’s the only one recommended by Apple tech support folks. The free version is all you need.

Nov 21, 2019 3:15 PM in response to macjack

Hi Macjack, I tried googling how to uninstall the Avira Anti-virus and got to Avira's Support page. I first tried uninstalling using "Terminal" but had no luck because I did not know what I had to type into the "Terminal" box (much less a password). I then tried "Utilities" on my Macbook Pro. I found "Utilities" easier but did not find an "uninstall Avira" in that folder. I then used Siri to search my computer for Avira and it did not find it on my computer. To my knowledge, I don't think I have Avira on my laptop.

Nov 23, 2019 10:50 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi MrHoffman, I found the Terminal option and the Utility option and found the "Utility" option easier. I found both those options before I came to this discussion group. But when I did "Finder," "Go," "Utilities," I did not find an Avira uninstall icon to click on. I even clicked all the icons inside the "Utilities" box to see if it was in those programs. It wasn't. Searching my computer for Avira yielded no results. So I am thinking I don't even have Avira installed.

I posted it here because uninstalling Avira was what this thread was about when trying to get rid of "P will damage your computer. You should move it to the trash."

Nov 23, 2019 11:14 AM in response to needsomehelpporfavor

You don’t have Avira installed. You may well have installed some other anti-malware.

I would not expect a legitimate copy of Avira would show itself in that earlier-posted plist as Adobe, either.

All of which is separate from Adobe, or whatever is triggering this app to launch, and the subsequent apparently-rogue access-detection and access-blocking by Catalina.

Nov 25, 2019 7:54 AM in response to needsomehelpporfavor

needsomehelpporfavor wrote:

Should I check Adobe even though you don't think it would be there?

Do you believe that you have Adobe software installed on this Mac, and—if so—is it current?

Download, and enable full device access for, and run EtreCheck, open a new reply here, then press the button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box large enough to paste the entire hardware and software configuration report here. That’s\ll provide a general inventory of the system and some of what’s installed.

"p" will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.