Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) randomly got kernel panic

My mbp15 randomly got kernel panic for several times everyday since upgraded to macOS Catalina 10.15.1. The screen suddenly freezed, and then the computer restarted. It seems to be caused by com.apple.iokit.IOAcceleratorFamily2 and com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000, but I don't know how to deal with it.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 12:29 AM

As I continue trying to troubleshoot this on my system I found another thread with the same issue: Kernel Panic in Catalina - Apple Community

Perhaps it would be useful if we shared the 3rd-party software we generally have running. Here's my list: VMware, Adobe Creative Cloud, DefaultFolderX, TypeIt4Me, iStatMenus, Firefox, BBEdit, 1Password, CARROTweather, Fetch (5.8 beta), and Launchbar.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2019 12:29 AM in response to ryan42

As I continue trying to troubleshoot this on my system I found another thread with the same issue: Kernel Panic in Catalina - Apple Community

Perhaps it would be useful if we shared the 3rd-party software we generally have running. Here's my list: VMware, Adobe Creative Cloud, DefaultFolderX, TypeIt4Me, iStatMenus, Firefox, BBEdit, 1Password, CARROTweather, Fetch (5.8 beta), and Launchbar.

Nov 19, 2019 8:42 PM in response to MY_W

I am having the same issue after upgrading to 10.15.1.

2015 Retina MacBook Pro 15"

2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

I also have tried disabling automatic graphics switching but it hasn't helped. The computer passes Apple Diagnostics.

The panic always references com.apple.iokit.IOAcceleratorFamily2.

Nov 28, 2019 9:14 PM in response to ryan42

After long-time research, I find this issue seems to be caused by discrete graphics card. Disabling it by executing "sudo pmset -a GPUSwitch 0" may prevent the crash temporarily. However, external monitor will stop working then. I guess it a system bug and hope Apple to solve it in 10.15.2.

Dec 5, 2019 10:03 PM in response to joshuapinter403

No crash appears with the discrete graphic card disabled for a week. Except once when I need to use external displays, so have to switched the discrete graphic card on, then my mac crashed after a period of time. Therefore, I think the crash is closely related to the discrete graphic card. Maybe there is something wrong with the driver "AMDRadeonX4000".

Dec 9, 2019 9:07 AM in response to MY_W

My MacBook Pro just crashed twice in an hour whilst using the external monitor. I'm going to disconnect from the monitor and use your `sudo pmset -a GPUSwitch 0` method to see if it can prevent crashing. This loss productivity is killing me. Takes me 20 minutes to setup my development environment after each crash.

Another question: Do I have to run this after every reboot?

Thanks!

Josh

Dec 13, 2019 3:15 PM in response to MY_W

I have the same Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" model. I've been struggling with the same issue since the update.

Today, I was reviewing all items that may be unsupported on my machine, and causing the issue.

I discovered that I had 2 screen savers that were no longer supported in Catalina. Once I removed them from the system, my sleep/wake function has returned. Give it a shot!

Jan 6, 2020 12:47 AM in response to MY_W

I tried the same....seemed to help for a while (30 minutes). My MBP mid 2012 15" 500gb SSD is practically unusable. I get a black screen about 15 times a day, Have switched to my iMac, but am considering switching to windows. This MBP was R30k (about $2000) and with the cost of support here in South Africa, it's cheaper to buy a new lap-top.

Jan 6, 2020 5:45 AM in response to Yorker69

After eliminating the unsupported screen savers and turning off the fancy new dynamic Catalina one, it resolved my kernel panic / sleep mode issue. However, I was also noticing major battery life drain, charge holding less than 2 hours, and a very hot battery. I gave up this past weekend and downgraded to Mojave. NOT an easy chore. Everything is now working perfectly. I am utterly horrified that Apple has yet to tell their most dedicated users that the new OS and disk partitioning will render their precious macs unusable.

Jan 7, 2020 4:59 PM in response to CCQueen

Thanks CCQueen! I also have an iMac so it is a big decision changing everything back, but am grateful for your sentiments. This is disgusting behaviour from Apple and I've come a long way from my excitement when originally moving all 4 devices to them when trading in my htc for an iPhone 3GS, what seems like decades ago.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) randomly got kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.