Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exceeding Icloud Limits!

I use Win7 x64 Icloud 7.15 outlook 2010

Until recently I had never seen this issue.

Now when I try to save a contact or I continually get this pop up window in outlook saying "could not save changes" and it lists 10-15 contacts saying Exceeding Icloud Limit!

I have over 2.6G free on my iCloud, 4100 contacts, 400 calendar entries

Very frustrating.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 12:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, CJMatthes!

I understand you're having problems saving a contact to iCloud while using Outlook. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Is your contact card any larger than the limits here? Limits for iCloud Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks

"Contacts

• Total number of contact cards: 50,000
  • Maximum size of a contact card: 256KB
  • Maximum size of a contact photo: 224KB
  • Maximum size of a contact group: 256KB
  • Maximum size of all contact cards:
    • Card text: 48MB
    • Card photos: 200MB
  • Supported file types for a contact photo: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
  • vCard import limits:
    • Total number of vCards: 50,000
    • Maximum size of a vCard: 256KB (photo + text)
    • Maximum photo size for a vCard: 224KB"

Also, are you able to save the contact as normal by going to iCloud.com?

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 12:02 PM in response to CJMatthes

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, CJMatthes!

I understand you're having problems saving a contact to iCloud while using Outlook. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Is your contact card any larger than the limits here? Limits for iCloud Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, and Bookmarks

"Contacts

• Total number of contact cards: 50,000
  • Maximum size of a contact card: 256KB
  • Maximum size of a contact photo: 224KB
  • Maximum size of a contact group: 256KB
  • Maximum size of all contact cards:
    • Card text: 48MB
    • Card photos: 200MB
  • Supported file types for a contact photo: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
  • vCard import limits:
    • Total number of vCards: 50,000
    • Maximum size of a vCard: 256KB (photo + text)
    • Maximum photo size for a vCard: 224KB"

Also, are you able to save the contact as normal by going to iCloud.com?

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Nov 23, 2019 1:13 PM in response to i_rina

Yes it's fixed. I suspected something along this line however it was elusive. I didn't seem to exceed any of the limits, Contacts 4000, total file size 188KB but I had some contacts which were 3M so I started there. Lessons were:

1) As I use Code2 to sync Outlook/Icloud a contact's notes are amended with each sync so the notes field grows. First I went through each of the contacts > 256K and cleaned up notes. Was able to get most of them to < 256K.

2) I then looked at the pictures imports and found several that were very high so I reduced the size (via picasso) and reimported them. That got the remaining to below 256K but still not all imported.

3) Then I found FOR AN UNKNOWN REASON that if I exported a contact to vcf and then reimported it significantly reduced the size w/o losing any of the content (I think it changes notes from RTF to Text or something so that got the size of each to < 100K (total had only reduced from 188K to 118K). As a note, exporting contacts to msg format and reimporting did not reduce size).

Now all contacts import to Icloud. Just wish I could figure out which part was chewing up the space. I don't think it was pictures as this was 150K. Total couldn't have been the problem at 118K. Number of contacts wasn't at 4K. Some part of the contacts was exceeding Icloud limits but I don't know which and outlook doesn't provide details on how much each part of a contact consumes.

One last anomaly I can't figure out but is not critical. When Code2 syncs the files, the total number of items in the outlook contact folder is 4030, yet the total number of items in the icloud contact folder is 4050. I have exported each folder to Excel and compared and each contact 4030 line items so where is the other 20 coming from?? Not a big deal just a little weird.

Thank you for your prompting, Yours in service. Curtis

Exceeding Icloud Limits!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.