Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

allow root user directions : I do not have the option of Edit>Enable Root User

I have the you must be signed in as the root user. The directions work until I get to Directory Utility and it says that from the drop down select Edit. I don't have that option

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 6:01 AM

Broderbund doesn't provide 64-bit software for any version of macOS, and thus it is not supported on Catalina anyway. Their true focus is on Windows where they can still get away with 32-bit software, and a dialog advising you to be root to install their software is even more reason to avoid them. It is bogusware.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2019 6:01 AM in response to carmarann

Broderbund doesn't provide 64-bit software for any version of macOS, and thus it is not supported on Catalina anyway. Their true focus is on Windows where they can still get away with 32-bit software, and a dialog advising you to be root to install their software is even more reason to avoid them. It is bogusware.

Nov 18, 2019 4:56 PM in response to carmarann

Refer to How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root ....

I can't think of any legitimate reason to enable the root user. Excerpted from the above:

"It's safer to use the sudo command in Terminal instead of enabling the root user. To learn about sudo, open the Terminal app and enter man sudo."

What is asking you to be signed in as root?

Nov 19, 2019 5:21 AM in response to etresoft

OK, so the Broderbund Print Shop is not good software? This is what Broderbund says:

Please note - the following information is provided As- Is. If you have any questions regarding the operation of the functions below, consult Apple Support for assistance.

When installing a Mac OS Product, you may receive a message that says "You must be logged in as root to install the program"

Starting with Mac OS Catalina, customers may experience as tighter than normal security routine to the Mac OS Operating system.

Apple has programmed this by design and is not reflective of our products in any way.

Should you experience this issue, please access the following support article from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012

This article will explain everything you need to enable the root user on your system and allow access to install your application.

If you have any further questions or need assistance, please consult a computer professional or Apple support for assistance. Encore is not able to assist by phone for this error.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for choosing Broderbund and Encore Software products.

So, does this make sense to any of you?

Nov 18, 2019 6:49 PM in response to carmarann

Then you certainly don’t need to enable root.

You have somehow been led astray for reasons I don’t understand. Installing Adobe Photoshop, if in fact that’s the product you downloaded, requires no more authentication than supplying your usual login password when prompted.

Something else is going on and additional details are needed.

Nov 19, 2019 5:21 AM in response to carmarann

I'm not familiar with that program. No matter what it is though, enabling the root user would invite a heap of trouble. Apple locked it down for that reason.

The dialog is asking you to do something you should not. If is to be believed, its programmer is either inept or malicious. You should tolerate neither.

---

What is it you would like that program to do? Perhaps there is a suitable alternative in the App Store. Describe what you need and perhaps someone could recommend one.

allow root user directions : I do not have the option of Edit>Enable Root User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.