Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I AM ASKING IF I CAN RECHARGE MY MacBook Air 2017 THROUGH THE USB 3 PORT WITH POWER DELIVERY POWER BANK WITH USB TO USB-C CABLE ?

I AM ASKING IF I CAN RECHARGE MY MacBook Air 2017 THROUGH THE USB 3 PORT WITH POWER DELIVERY POWER BANK WITH USB TO USB -C CABLE ?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 9:53 PM

As was noted, USB 3.0 power is only supposed to go one way - from the USB-A connection to the destination. There's really no way to charge it with that port. If you attempted to use a USB-A to USB-C cable (or via various cable/adapter combos) what might happen is that your MBA would probably charge the power bank.

Now a newer MBA with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 can charge off of almost anything (USB-A power adapter, power bank, USB-C, or even off another computer) although it adjusts to the available current. I'm not quite sure what would happen if two were connected to each other though.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 9:53 PM in response to ihab116

As was noted, USB 3.0 power is only supposed to go one way - from the USB-A connection to the destination. There's really no way to charge it with that port. If you attempted to use a USB-A to USB-C cable (or via various cable/adapter combos) what might happen is that your MBA would probably charge the power bank.

Now a newer MBA with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 can charge off of almost anything (USB-A power adapter, power bank, USB-C, or even off another computer) although it adjusts to the available current. I'm not quite sure what would happen if two were connected to each other though.

I AM ASKING IF I CAN RECHARGE MY MacBook Air 2017 THROUGH THE USB 3 PORT WITH POWER DELIVERY POWER BANK WITH USB TO USB-C CABLE ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.