Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari address bar re-opens after search

When I search from the address bar in Safari, the address bar opens with a list of autocomplete suggestions generated from my search engine, bookmarks, history, etc. This is very helpful. If I ignore those suggestions and simply hit "enter", Safari loads my search engine of choice to search for that term (which is great and exactly what I want). However, at that point, the address bar re-opens to display suggestions again, which obscures the page! Why in the world would the search suggestions re-open after I have completed a search, and is there any way to disable this behavior?

MacBook

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 2:52 PM

Hey adrianlafond,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running into some unexpected behavior with Safari. I definitely want to make sure Safari is working as expected for you, and I'm happy to look into this.

To start, let's have you close Safari, and then while holding Shift, go ahead and reopen it. This clears out some settings and gives you a fresh start, test if the same behavior continues.

If so, let's see if this happens in safe mode too. The link below will go over how to restart in safe mode, and even what to do if this behavior isn't present in safe mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 2:52 PM in response to adrianlafond

Hey adrianlafond,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running into some unexpected behavior with Safari. I definitely want to make sure Safari is working as expected for you, and I'm happy to look into this.

To start, let's have you close Safari, and then while holding Shift, go ahead and reopen it. This clears out some settings and gives you a fresh start, test if the same behavior continues.

If so, let's see if this happens in safe mode too. The link below will go over how to restart in safe mode, and even what to do if this behavior isn't present in safe mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Nov 21, 2019 7:01 PM in response to i_rina

Apologies but I would like to take back my previous reply. The problem still occurs but I have figured out the cause of the bug. It occurs if I put Safari into fullscreen mode. I was able to reproduce both after restarting Safari in safe mode as well the restarting the computer itself in safe mode. In non-fullscreen mode, search works fine.

FYI, I run most apps fullscreen because I have a 13" Macbook and just flip between apps. I am running 10.15.1on Macbook from 2013 (it still runs great other than this Safari bug).

@i_rina, I am curious if you or anyone else can put Safari into safe mode and reproduce?

Nov 22, 2019 9:25 AM in response to Eric Root

"virus programs? Using a VPN?" ... No

"Try setting up another admin user account" ... done, and problem persists.

I have also reproduced this on a second Macbook, this one 2019 brand new (work machine). Simply put Safari into fullscreen, type something to search for in the address bar, hit Enter. So at the moment it seems like a general bug with Safari and not something specific to me.

safari address bar re-opens after search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.