Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to downgrade macbook pro 16" to Mojave

How to downgrade the new MacBook Pro 16" from Catalina to Mojave ?

I'm stuck with Catalina while I need to run vital 32Bit applications.

Thanks in advance :-)

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 11:33 PM

10 replies

Dec 3, 2019 7:09 AM in response to SeanHinds

SeanHinds wrote:

So to confirm. You're now running Mojave on your 16" MacBook Pro?

I think there are two scenarios being discussed in this thread. The original question was regarding downgrading a 16 inch computer to Mojave that came with Catalina installed. The answer remains you can't.

Then a subsequent post explained how to downgrade a Mac that was previously running Mojave then upgraded to Catalina. These are two distinct situations. In the second case where the computer was previously running Mojave it is possible to downgrade back to Mojave from Catalina.

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

Nov 20, 2019 3:58 AM in response to dwb

Thanks for your answer. Before posting my question, I already did install Mojave in VMWare Fusion.

I asked because was looking for getting a dual boot and two completely separate work spaces, business and private. Virtualization isn't a perfect solution all applications do not accept to run within a virtual space, for example Path Finder.

So Apple did make the life just harder with this choice at the critical point of the 32-64 transition.

Nov 26, 2019 5:22 PM in response to dwb

I was provided a link to a support webpage which explained how to downgrade from a backup as I'm having severe difficulties since apple blocked 32 bit apps in a 64bit environment. Unfortunately the link has ceased to work when I went back to read it.

Would be very grateful to support if they posted the link again!

Dec 2, 2019 5:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ta Grant,

All good now. I had a Mojave backup which appeared not to be available. In desperation I left it overnight and most of the morning, 14hours. Just came back to it and I now have a Mojave install with all my e-mails, browser configs and bet of all my 32 bit apps now work.

It was going to cost $1k to upgrade my 32 bit apps to work in Catalina. I had to leave behind my video and audio editing software on my MBP 17" for the same reason, it was 32 bit hardware. I still use it as it works fine, just because Apple abandoned it doesn't mean I have to, just no more updates for me!

Keep well and thank you for the assistance.

Dec 4, 2019 12:01 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Just to be clear for others suffering the same issue.

I have a MBP 13" Retina (12,1), 8GB RAM, 500GB, with a 64 bit base Mojave installation. Mojave provided warnings on 32 bit apps but they still worked!

Upgraded to Catalina without thinking about the consequences, 32 bit apps being blocked (MS office, Adobe Arcobat Pro, Video editor, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.). Potentially very expensive consequences due to Catalina OS install blocking 32 bit apps. At his point it is worth understanding smaller word bit apps run faster in larger bit environment, unless they are blocked on purpose...

My only bug bear at present is in going back I use a backup which is months old and have lost e-mails and documents. Even though I did a Time Machine backup in Catalina, before reverting too Mojave. Mojave TM doesn't like accessing the Catalina backup, the files appear but the restore function is disabled.

Many thanks for all the comments.

Dec 4, 2019 7:18 AM in response to WayneAu

WayneAu wrote:

Just to be clear for others suffering the same issue.

I have a MBP 13" Retina (12,1), 8GB RAM, 500GB, with a 64 bit base Mojave installation. Mojave provided warnings on 32 bit apps but they still worked!

Upgraded to Catalina without thinking about the consequences, 32 bit apps being blocked (MS office, Adobe Arcobat Pro, Video editor, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.). Potentially very expensive consequences due to Catalina OS install blocking 32 bit apps. At his point it is worth understanding smaller word bit apps run faster in larger bit environment, unless they are blocked on purpose...

My only bug bear at present is in going back I use a backup which is months old and have lost e-mails and documents. Even though I did a Time Machine backup in Catalina, before reverting too Mojave. Mojave TM doesn't like accessing the Catalina backup, the files appear but the restore function is disabled.

Many thanks for all the comments.

You thread jacked this thread. The original question was related to a 16 inch Mac that came with Catalina installed. The answer to the original poster and the subject of this thread is that the operating system can not be changed from Catalina to Mojave on a 16 inch Mac that originally came with Catalina.

Dec 4, 2019 7:51 AM in response to WayneAu

<<Mojave TM doesn't like accessing the Catalina backup, the files appear but the restore function is disabled.>>

That may be a Time Machine (only) issue. It may be solvable, but not on this very busy and convoluted thread. Please make a new posting with an appropriate title and Readers can help you work through the details to get access to those files again.

how to downgrade macbook pro 16" to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.