Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie is causing pixelation??

Hi,

So basically, I’m filming videos on an iPhone 8 Plus in 1080p 60fps and editing them in iMovie.

When I watch the final video in iMovie there are no issues.

But once I save it (using better quality option), I watch it back on QuickTime and there’s pixelation in parts of the video. See picture.

All clips in the timeline are 1080p 60fps, I’ve tried deleting and re-adding the dodgy clips but it just puts the pixelation elsewhere in the video.

Please can someone help, it’s driving me insane :’(

Thanks <3

P.S. This wasn’t happening before updating to MacOS Catalina ...

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 11:49 AM

The pixelation issue has been raised several times on this forum since the Catalina upgrade occurred. it may be a bug that Applie will need to correct.

The problem appears to occur with videos made on the newer iPhones in the HEVC format. The workaround is to use a video converter such as the free download Handbrake to convert the video clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC, that Handbrake will do by default.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

For future exports from your iPhone you can go to your iPhone settings Photos/Transfer to PC or Mac and select Automatic to export in a more compatible format.

-- Rich

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2019 11:49 AM in response to siani241

The pixelation issue has been raised several times on this forum since the Catalina upgrade occurred. it may be a bug that Applie will need to correct.

The problem appears to occur with videos made on the newer iPhones in the HEVC format. The workaround is to use a video converter such as the free download Handbrake to convert the video clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC, that Handbrake will do by default.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

For future exports from your iPhone you can go to your iPhone settings Photos/Transfer to PC or Mac and select Automatic to export in a more compatible format.

-- Rich

Dec 25, 2019 8:42 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich, thank you for your assistance on this issue. However, I already had my phone's Photos transfer settings set to Automatic when the issue occurred for me. However, for my iMovie project some of my video clips came from my phone, which uploads to iCloud and then I get them on my Mac in Photos, and then some of them came from my wife's phone, where I dowloaded the videos from her iCloud and put them on my Mac.

Dec 26, 2019 11:28 AM in response to Rich839

Rich,

Shot Christmas videos in 1080p 120 and 240 fps.

Format was set to High Efficiency [even though 1080p at 240p is forced HEIF format].

Transfer to MAC or PC was set to Automatic.

When rendering the export on my MacBook Pro I have similar pixelation issues...

I am completely within the Apple ecosystem and I cannot understand how an issue like this could even occur. Must I really convert all of my videos on handbrake and then recreate the entire project to then export?

It is driving me completely insane. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

iskandera.

Dec 26, 2019 2:13 PM in response to iskandera

So far I have not seen an solution to this other than as previously mentioned in this thread.

For those still struggling with the issue you might want to contact Apple Support to see if the savvy folks there can help. To do that, click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a phone number where you can talk to Apple Support. Hopefully they will be able to come up with and answer.

-- Rich

iMovie is causing pixelation??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.