Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotspots

can my iPad connect to a hotspot on Android phone? Does it matter if the carriers are different?

iPad mini, 9

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 10:48 AM

8 replies

Nov 19, 2019 3:30 PM in response to Rob_3837

All my devices are Apple and all locked into Sprint. I have an old iPad mini that I am giving to friend. The old mini has a teeny tiny data plan that’s tied to my Sprint. It also has WiFi and Bluetooth capability.

Friend has an Android phone with unlimited data through Verizon. I’m trying to determine whether he can add a hot spot to his plan and use it with the mini. If not, will need to upgrade the data on my existing plan.

The guy drives a truck for a living so he has infrequent access to other WiFi networks.

Does this make sense? We are both boomers, so not everything is obvious when it comes to phones, tablets, etc.

Nov 20, 2019 2:40 AM in response to Maryland_Lawgirl

Whether your friend’s Carrier Plan includes hot-spot capability is likely the limiting factor. Not all Carriers enable hot-spot functionality on the SIM - and of those that do, the Carrier may make an additional charge for the facility. In some cases, Carriers that offer so called “unlimited data” often explicitly bar hot-spot functionality; unlimited, in this instance, refers to data consumed by the phone - not tethered devices!

As mentioned in other replies, if any phone/SIM/Carrier Plan has hot-spot functionality, then you should be able to connect your iPad if your have the hot-spot password.

Hotspots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.