Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV+ subscription still asks me to pay for movies/shows?

I signed up for the 7 day free trial of Apple TV+ shortly after it launched, and to my surprise, when clicking on a movie, was prompted to pay for said movie (e.g. when clicking on The Lion King, I am given the option to buy for £13.99 or rent for £4.49). It appears to be the same for most TV shows as well, although I've found some which allow me to click "Play Episode" without a prompt to pay (e.g. The Morning Show), although I didn't check before signing up, so these may well have always been free anyway.

I was expecting to pay the subscription (or free trial, in this case) and have access to all of the available movies and TV shows on Apple TV+ for the cost of the subscription (like Netflix), but it appears to me that I actually have to pay the subscription fees, and then on top of that also pay to purchase or rent each individual movie/show!?

Please advise me if I've missed something as I've now wasted my "free trial" because I couldn't find anything to watch without paying extra, and the subscription has now renewed because I forgot about it since I wasn't using it. Not very happy.

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 11:37 AM

Hi there,

It sounds like you are trying to access content available from the iTunes Store, rather than Apple TV+. To find out what it is on Apple TV+, see www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus.

I would say that there is not much content at the moment, but be assured Apple is working on new shows.

6 replies

Nov 19, 2019 11:45 AM in response to RachT1

Hi RachT1,

Thanks for your reply, but I am looking on the Apple TV app (see picture below).

I have also looked at that link and on the Apple website and online and haven't found any clear information about what's actually included. There also doesn't appear to be a "Included with Apple TV+" section or similar, so I have no way of knowing what's actually available to me for the cost of my subscription.

Nov 19, 2019 2:04 PM in response to beanextract

Apple TV+ is exclusively for Apple's original content. Nothing else. So no movies, and no tv shows from other companies.

Currently, the Apple TV+ service is limited to 8 currently available shows. 4 more coming soon, and Oprah's book club who's first episode is now available.

Current Shows are:

1. The Morning Show
  2. See
  3. For All Man Kind
  4. Dickinson
  5. The Elephant Queen
  6. Helpsters
  7. Ghost Writer
  8. Snoopy in Space
  9. Oprah's Book Club

Coming Soon

1. Servant
  2. Hala
  3. Truth be Told
  4. The Banker

Apple TV+ subscription still asks me to pay for movies/shows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.