Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine problems

For the last three days, my Time Machine has refused to backup. It says there's an error copying files. I've checked the disk in Disk Utility, no issues, I've used a different disk, a different interface and cables. It's absolutely the same error each time and I can't pin point anything that has changed at that time.

The error I am getting varies slightly but the two elements in bold are always present. When it started it was just those two errors but more recently other errors have crept in amongst them. There's no mention in Console of any file error or copying error.

I can find no reference on the net, with the exception that DirtyJetsam refers to IOS technology. There's no IOS device connected and even with my phone (on the same network) in Airplane Mode the result is the same.

Any clues gratefully received.

Nov 20 09:03:10 MacBook-Pro kcm[3517]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug

Nov 20 09:03:11 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Nov 20 09:03:19 MacBook-Pro diagnosticd[913]: allowing Console (3521) access to stream due to admin status

Nov 20 09:03:19 MacBook-Pro diagnosticd[913]: send_stream_request_block_invoke: connecting to streaming server

Nov 20 09:03:19 MacBook-Pro diagnosticd[913]: Posting stream filter: "{

global = 30064771083;

}"

Nov 20 09:03:19 MacBook-Pro diagnosticd[913]: System mode client started - Console (3521) - mode: 0xb, filter: "<empty>"

Nov 20 09:03:22 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 9:33 AM

Check the file named ".Backup.log" in the snapshot folders and see if there are any hints there. For example in a Terminal window:

cd /Volumes/TM-volume/Backups.backupdb/system-name/2019-11-19-2000405/
cat .Backup.log

Good luck...

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 21, 2019 12:25 AM in response to dot.com

OK, had a look. I'm finding nothing since the last backup except a file 2019-11-21-073725.inProgress (this morning). Showing Package Contents show a list of the failed backups.

There I've found the log files.

Looking in the latest I find this;

Fatal Error: (-8062) SrcErr:NO Copying /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro/2019-11-21-073721/Macintosh HD/Library/[FILEPATH] to (null)

So, I've gone into that location in Terminal and deleted the directory, I'm trying a new backup so fingers crossed.

This location for the backup log is very helpful, thank you

Nov 21, 2019 7:51 AM in response to dot.com

True,

sudo cat .Backup.596014647.185379.log 

(numbers obviously unique to my situation)

But this was found in Backup[...].inprogress > Show Package Contents. There was a list of partial, failed, backups but also a number of log files found using "list -al"

In there was mention of the file (directory) that caused the error. In my case it wouldn't delete through the Finder but, in Terminal "rm -R" on the directory did the job

I am happy to report that Time Machine has just completed its backup.

So thanks all.

Nov 21, 2019 8:32 AM in response to Frédéric le Moustique

The "inprogress" folder name is completely normal, and just indicates that either a backup is actually in progress, or that Time Machine crashed before it was able to rename the in progress folder to the normal snapshot name. You can tell if a backup is in progress by clicking on the "clock" icon in the Menu bar at the top of the screen (but you need to enable this in the System Preferences Time Machine pane by clicking on the checkbox that says "Show Time Machine in menu bar".

When that clock icon is showing just click on it and you will either see that a backup is in progress or the date/time that the last backup was completed, along with the "Backup Now", "Enter Time Machine" and "Open Time Machine Preferences" items.

Good luck...

Time machine problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.