Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open photos since update my Mac OS to Catalina.

I can't open my photos library since I update my Mac OS to Catalina.

it says need to be update, but can't , so it goes to repair.then after repair, it shows :"the library could not be opened. photos was unable to open the library.(1000)

is there anyone know how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 11:34 AM

You need to move the Photos Library to a locally mounted volume. Plug an external volume directly into your Mac. As long as you keep the Photos Library on a drive with server software installed, the security measures in Catalina will prevent Photos from opening and upgrading your Photos Library.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2019 11:34 AM in response to savagexy

You need to move the Photos Library to a locally mounted volume. Plug an external volume directly into your Mac. As long as you keep the Photos Library on a drive with server software installed, the security measures in Catalina will prevent Photos from opening and upgrading your Photos Library.

Dec 22, 2019 2:20 AM in response to savagexy

Just can’t open by iPhoto.

Is iPhoto a typo or are you still trying to open iPhoto and not Photos for Mac?

iPhoto will never again run after the upgrade to Catalina (Updating from iPhoto to Photos for OS X - Apple Support). The last system version where you could use iPhoto has been macOS 10.14.6 Mojave. iPhoto has not been updated by Apple for more than four years, after it has been replaced by Photos in 2015. On Catalina you can use the Photos for Mac application to open your iPhoto Libraries to get access to your photos. Catalina introduced more security measures and Photos is more restrictive about external volumes. It is not possible to upgrade a Photos Library or iPhoto Library with Photos 5.0 on Catalina, if the external volume with the library is unsupported. It needs to be locally mounted, not a NAS or another network share, not a synced cloud storage, and the format of the volume should be macOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, the volume must not have been used for Time Machine backups. There must nor be any software for backups or similar installed on the volume, see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Some more hints: Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from… - Apple Community

can't open photos since update my Mac OS to Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.