Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think I was just sent a bogus email that my account is lock and to click on “this link” to unlock it. “This link” is http:appleid.apple.com. But when I hover over it to show the true link, that is not it. What do think?

I just received an email that my apple account is locked. I think it is bogus. It said to click here on their link, which looks legit, but when I hover over it, something else comes up. Should I trust to click on the link?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 10:11 AM

Apple won't send you an email/text telling you your account is disabled/restricted  or will be disabled/restricted. You will find out the next time you try to log in somewhere.

The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment. Or control - click on the email and select Forward as attachment. Make sure you send it as an attachment to a new email. If you just forward it, it will probably be rejected. You won’t receive a response.

reportphishing@apple.com

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2019 10:11 AM in response to Marlingirl

Apple won't send you an email/text telling you your account is disabled/restricted  or will be disabled/restricted. You will find out the next time you try to log in somewhere.

The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers .

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Avoid phishing emails, fake ‘virus‘ alerts, phony support calls, and other scams

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Send the e-mail to Apple as an attachment to a new e-mail before deleting it. You can forward as an attachment by going to Mail/Message/Forward as attachment. Or control - click on the email and select Forward as attachment. Make sure you send it as an attachment to a new email. If you just forward it, it will probably be rejected. You won’t receive a response.

reportphishing@apple.com

Nov 20, 2019 1:41 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger Wilmut1 wrote:

It's extremely simple to produce a fake link, as here (it's harmless, of course):

https://apple.com

(I should have responded to the OP, of course, obviously Eric knows this.)

Interestingly, when I posted the above the link worked as I'd set it up, going to the BBC. Now it's changed and goes where it says it will go. However, in emails there is no such clever behaviour.

I think I was just sent a bogus email that my account is lock and to click on “this link” to unlock it. “This link” is http:appleid.apple.com. But when I hover over it to show the true link, that is not it. What do think?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.