Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Safari on old iPad

My dad has an old iPad (circa 2013 I think) which won't allow an upgrade to iOS version later than iOS 9.3.5. He is getting errors from some apps saying that his version of Safari is too old. Is he safe to upgrade Safari to the latest version, despite being on an old iOS version? Is there any risk that the latest versions of Safari are incompatible with the older versions of iOS?

Thanks

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 3:27 PM

Your summary is correct.

Whilst you can’t update Safari independently of iPadOS/iOS, you can still install an alternative browser - and, as long as it continues to be maintained by the developer, keep that up to date.

You have several alternative browsers available to you (download from the App Store) - but if you are looking for a robust, secure and privacy focussed browser, Firefox would be a good choice (and costs you nothing).

I hope you find this helpful.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 3:27 PM in response to Peter_1980

Your summary is correct.

Whilst you can’t update Safari independently of iPadOS/iOS, you can still install an alternative browser - and, as long as it continues to be maintained by the developer, keep that up to date.

You have several alternative browsers available to you (download from the App Store) - but if you are looking for a robust, secure and privacy focussed browser, Firefox would be a good choice (and costs you nothing).

I hope you find this helpful.

Nov 21, 2019 3:18 PM in response to QuickPost

Thank you - that’s helpful. So, in short (if I understood correctly) the Safari version is tied to the OS version and once you reach a limit on your iOS version, you’ve essentially reached the limit on Safari too?

Its a shame as I think my dad does only pretty basic stuff on his iPad, and can’t really afford to upgrade.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Nov 21, 2019 9:23 AM in response to Peter_1980

Hello,

Safari updates are built into system software updates. If your iPad will not update past 9.3.5 then you have either an iPad 2, iPad (3rd generation), or iPad mini (1st generation). These iPad models do not support any system version newer than 9. You cannot update your iPad any further. As long as it still works it isn't too critical to upgrade to a newer iPad model. If he is running into compatibility problems then the only solution is to purchase a newer iPad model. Apple just released the new iPad (7th generation) which starts at just $329.

Upgrade Safari on old iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.