Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine asking for more space

I have a 1TB external hard drive that I partitioned into two, one 300GB in order to use it to back up using Time Machine for my Macbook has 250GB storage. However recently I've been getting notifications that now there isn't enough space to back up and needs 20GB more? How is this possible?

Did the(or a) recent update require more storage somehow? Am I being really stupid, I thought considering I can't gain more storage that 300GB would be more than enough?

The only thing I could think is that there is some old backups clogging up space but I was under the impression the old backups would automatically be deleted if more space is needed?

Sorry if i'm being super dumb and this is obvious !!

---using macOS Mojave v10.14.6 ---

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 10:52 AM

TimeMachine makes a complete backup the first time you use it and from then on it backs up just the files that have changed. Remember, the backups include your files, programs and operating system so when you upgrade an application or update the operating system that backup will be quite large. These incremental backups are done every hour (that the drive is plugged in). For this reason we veterans recommend that your drive be between 2-4 times larger than the data you are backing up. So if your drive has 100GB of stuff, your backup drive should be at least 200GB and preferably closer to 400GB. The bigger the TM drive the longer you can go without TM needing to delete old backups.

When TM doesn't have room to back up it will attempt to erase enough old backups so the new backup will fit. But if deleting all the incremental backups doesn't create enough space, TM is stuck. It sounds like that's where you are.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 10:52 AM in response to ceciliaxc

TimeMachine makes a complete backup the first time you use it and from then on it backs up just the files that have changed. Remember, the backups include your files, programs and operating system so when you upgrade an application or update the operating system that backup will be quite large. These incremental backups are done every hour (that the drive is plugged in). For this reason we veterans recommend that your drive be between 2-4 times larger than the data you are backing up. So if your drive has 100GB of stuff, your backup drive should be at least 200GB and preferably closer to 400GB. The bigger the TM drive the longer you can go without TM needing to delete old backups.

When TM doesn't have room to back up it will attempt to erase enough old backups so the new backup will fit. But if deleting all the incremental backups doesn't create enough space, TM is stuck. It sounds like that's where you are.

Nov 21, 2019 1:32 PM in response to ceciliaxc

One other point -- since you're using one disk with two partitions (one for your real files and one for Time Machine to use), if the drive fails and goes bad, you will possibly loose both sets of files. Usually you want a separate disk to create backups on, so that only if both drives fail are you in deep trouble.

Drives are so inexpensive any more, that you really should consider this option. This will also let you sleep more securely and have one less thing to worry about ;-)

Good luck...

Time Machine asking for more space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.