Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to download an older version of Youtube onto my iPad 2?

Recently my old ipad2 was deemed too old and I was told it needed to be updated to ios 9.3.6 or it would no longer work in some applications. I tried to update it to no avail before the deadline and in doing so reset it. I lost all previous applications. The internet still works no problems however I can not download Youtube. It is telling me it is not compatible. Stupid question but is it possible to download an older version of Youtube onto my ipad2?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad 2

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 1:42 PM

Go into the iOS App Store app and see if you can redownload all of your older apps from the Purchases option found in a menu option within the iOS App Store app.

If you originally had the older YouTube app, you should be able to redownload under the Purchases section of the iOS App Store app.

Best of Luck to You!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 1:42 PM in response to richdave77

Go into the iOS App Store app and see if you can redownload all of your older apps from the Purchases option found in a menu option within the iOS App Store app.

If you originally had the older YouTube app, you should be able to redownload under the Purchases section of the iOS App Store app.

Best of Luck to You!

Nov 21, 2019 5:43 PM in response to triston85

You are incorrect.

There are two ways to get any older version of any app, if it still exists on Apple’s iOS App Store servers, if you have either a newer iDevice or a full computer with a special version of iTunes, OR if it was already installed previously, using the method I already outlined above.

Older versions of apps may still exist in the iOS App Store, despite the fact the apps may have moved on to an higher minimum iOS version, now.

If you need older versions of apps that have moved on to iOS 10 and later, tap on my link below and choose the method that best works with your current situation.

CAREFULLY read and follow ALL directions. Especially so for my computer/older iTunes procedures.

Any of my procedures/solutions work!

Downloading Older iOS 9.3.5 Versions of A… - Apple Community

A Disclaimer.

Apps may or may not have older iOS 9.3.5 versions still available from within the iOS App Store.

The availability of older apps for older iOS devices and versions is SOLELY up to the decision/discretion of the app

developer and NOT by Apple!

There are a couple of ways to try/attempt to get an older version of an app. Pick the method that works best for your

situation/circumstances.

Also, for older iPad users, I recommend users STOP using that nearly over 3-year old Safari Web browser, as it is, probably, not safe and secure to use any longer, and seek out a third party web browser that is STILL currently being updated and STILL being supported on iOS 9.3.5.

My advice on this issue is, also, included in my above link.

Nov 21, 2019 1:34 PM in response to richdave77

If the App Store doesn't offer you an older version of YouTube that is compatible with your aging iPad 2 (which is from early 2011), you are out of luck. You can use youtube.com with Safari or any other internet browser as an alternative.

The 9.3.6 update has nothing to do with this - 9.3.6 is a bugfix that fixes the GPS Rollover that took place on Nov 3rd, and only the CDMA Cellular iPad 2 is affected. The GSM Cellular iPad 2 or the Wi-Fi only iPad 2 isn't affected and therefore the latest version for those iPads remain 9.3.5, which could be a reason why you cannot update to 9.3.6. If you do have the CDMA cellular, you can try to update your device with iTunes on a computer - just to be safe. But it's only possible and required with the CDMA model.

There is no way to run an app that requires iOS 10 or later on a device that can only be upgraded to iOS 9.3.5/9.3.6, as the hardware won't support anything newer.

Think about getting a new iPad - your device is quite old now and you may experience limited functionality when it comes to third-party apps that you find in the App Store.

Is it possible to download an older version of Youtube onto my iPad 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.