Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Answer calls - buttons instead of slider on lock screen

Hi,

I just got a brand new iPhone XS and I have a really annoying problem. When someone calls me, sometimes I have a slider to answer and sometimes there are buttons instead of slider. Of course I'm talking about locked screen. I can't see the pattern, it's just randomly showing one of these options, sometimes it's slider, sometimes there are buttons. It's really ******* me off, especially when I want to take a ringing phone from my pocket or backpack and I accidentally click button to answer. I hope I described clearly what's the problem.

I updated iOS to the latest version and it didn't help. Phone is new, bought one week ago. Is this a known bug? Or maybe there's a setting that controls it and I can't find it?

Any help would be appreciated because if that's going to continue, I'll have to go back to Android, it's too much of a trouble.

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 9:36 AM

Sir, just read again what i wrote. Slowly. I know how it should work. The problem is that I have buttons on locked screen. No slider, buttons. I have phone in my pocket or on my desk, with locked screen ect. someone calls me and there should be slider, but instead of that, there are buttons. And with that, it' easy to accidentally click it and answer.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2019 9:36 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Sir, just read again what i wrote. Slowly. I know how it should work. The problem is that I have buttons on locked screen. No slider, buttons. I have phone in my pocket or on my desk, with locked screen ect. someone calls me and there should be slider, but instead of that, there are buttons. And with that, it' easy to accidentally click it and answer.

Nov 22, 2019 12:27 PM in response to Caladean

There is the possibility that while in your pocket, the phone is getting bumped before a call and that could be what is getting the button to show up instead of the slider. It is hard to say. I'm not aware of it being a bug, and have not read of any other reports of this. It sounds from your second post that this does not always happen, so it may be hard to duplicate. Can you test calls to your phone from another phone near you to see what happens? Otherwise, you can make a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store to have them check the device.

Nov 22, 2019 9:30 AM in response to Caladean

If the iPhone is locked and you receive a call, then you will see the slide to Answer option. If the iPhone is unlocked and you receive a call, you will see the answer and decline buttons. There is no setting to change that. Your decision to change to Android is your own, and we participants here are fellow users, and have no stake in what you decide to do or not do. This is a user to user support forum and Apple does not participate here.

Nov 22, 2019 2:40 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I don't think it's anyhow connected with bumping in pocket, as it happens when it lays on table or desk, without any movement or contact. It's just randomly showing buttons. I just made a few phone calls from 2 different phones that I have and about 2 out of 10 attempts brings buttons instead of slider.

Right now I created a backup and did a factory reset. I had some issues with updating from iOS 12 to 13 (I had to do it through iTunes, as iOS updater didn't work) and maybe something went wrong. I'm going to restore everything and do additional tests tomorrow. If that won't fix this, I'll have to go to Apple service.

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Caladean

Sounds good. To be honest, I always update via iTunes. After spending a lot of time here, I find many threads complaining about issues with over the air updates. I know a lot of people have success, but I like the ability to download the update via iTunes and expand and verify before doing anything to the phone. Just feels safer to me. Good luck.

Dec 22, 2019 1:04 AM in response to Caladean

In early November I opened a report via feedback assistant, I attached a video of the problem. I also opened a case with telephone support and I sent the same video of the problem, I was told that they have to check it. Other forums in other countries talk about it. From what I have noticed it is difficult to record, as it seems to occur after some time from one call to another. You can send a report via https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/ and also if you can, attach a video of the problem. You can also open a case like I did, with telephone support.

Answer calls - buttons instead of slider on lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.