Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Mail App on Catalina

With Catalina I can't send out email without changing to ICloud. instead of Comcast or Gmail. I can use either webmail Comcast or Gmail . Nor do I have a problem sending mail on my iPhone. I hope that Apple can resolve this problem without my having to delete my accounts and lose all of my past emails.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 3:51 PM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2019 3:57 PM in response to kathrynfromsalt lake city

With all your accounts active, when you are composing a message be sure to check a dropdown menu on the right above your text. It is there so you can choose which server to use for the account you are using. There is also an option in Mail to use the server for the account in use. Be sure to check that option. Maybe that will help. Otherwise, you can try the following to see if it helps with Mail.

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  5. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  6. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.

None of the above may help, but they are worth trying. Sometimes they can resolve problems with Mail. If they don't, then you should restore your previous system from your backup or reinstall macOS:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up, if possible.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid button in Disk Utility's toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Nov 26, 2019 7:39 PM in response to kathrynfromsalt lake city

You need to select your account in Mail's preferences. Then click on the Server Settings button. You need to have the correct addresses for the incoming and outgoing mail servers. Your email password is needed in both sections. If you don't know this information, then it should be available from your email provider's website.

Mail settings you might need from your email provider - Apple Support

How to use Mail on your Mac

Mac Basics- (How to) Use Mail on your Mac

Nov 22, 2019 9:34 PM in response to Kappy

I have been using Mail for years and the accounts which I told you about are active. Since the update to Catalina I still receive mail from these providers. However, I cannot send them. Every reply needs to be changed to ICloud or it is refused. First I get an error message asking for my Comcast password and when I enter it I get another error message saying that it is unable to verify the account name or password. This happens even when I try to send using Gmail.

Nov 25, 2019 5:56 AM in response to Kappy

First of all, I had already done the first step in your reply. That was how I learned that the only way which I could send an email was through iCloud. This is a problem that occurred with the installation of Catalina. I don't understand the rest of your instructions, but I sincerely hope that something which happened as a result of your product does not require a complete change in my system, which I have had for more than ten years, and which has a lot of data and files on it.

What I am hoping is that the code in Catalina which caused this problem will be fixed. After all, this isn't a problem with my iPhone or IPad which were also updated recently.

Problem with Mail App on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.