Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple map doesn't show turn-by-turn direction on Carplay Mercedes Benz

When I use Apple Maps on my iPhone not through CarPlay, I can view turn-by-turn directions. When using CarPlay, however, I cannot -- or just cannot figure out how -- to get turn-by-turn directions on my car's screen.

I have Overview "view" which shows the high view route view, but that's just a visual view with no context.

Google map and Waze on the other hand works just fine through CarPlay.

I have iPhone XS (iOS 13.2.3), using CarPlay on Mercedes Benz GLC 300.

I tried reaching out to Mercedes who suggested me to contact Apple and when connected with Apple they asked me to contact Mercedes, not sure who to reach out to now.

Thank again for your help.

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:35 AM

I read on another site that this could be a cable problem and almost dismissed that because absolutely everything else other than Apple Maps was functioning perfectly. Since it seemed easy to check out though, I went out to my Audi armed with 2 other cables - one an Apple cable and one a third party cable. I checked them both out prior to going out to the car and both seemed to be functioning perfectly. I tried the Apple cable first and Apple Maps still did not show turn by turn directions. Then, I tried the third party cable and Apple Maps now showed perfect turn by turn directions! Can Apple Maps really be that sensitive? Even when absolutely everything else works, including turn by turn on a Google Maps, somehow the cable is inadequate for Apple Maps? Seems very odd.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 10:35 AM in response to Mnj1234

I read on another site that this could be a cable problem and almost dismissed that because absolutely everything else other than Apple Maps was functioning perfectly. Since it seemed easy to check out though, I went out to my Audi armed with 2 other cables - one an Apple cable and one a third party cable. I checked them both out prior to going out to the car and both seemed to be functioning perfectly. I tried the Apple cable first and Apple Maps still did not show turn by turn directions. Then, I tried the third party cable and Apple Maps now showed perfect turn by turn directions! Can Apple Maps really be that sensitive? Even when absolutely everything else works, including turn by turn on a Google Maps, somehow the cable is inadequate for Apple Maps? Seems very odd.

Nov 29, 2019 10:42 AM in response to Mnj1234

Thanks for your response. This is actually odd if it doesn't work with apple OEM cable.

Actually, I have tried many cables which includes Apple original, A cable from Mercedes and a good quality third party cable from Amazon. Everything works but the Apple Maps doesn't shows turn-by-turn directions. I will try a shorter cable and see if that's works

Apple map doesn't show turn-by-turn direction on Carplay Mercedes Benz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.