Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer restarts every night since Catalina upgrade

I get the error: Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks.

I reinstalled macOS three days ago and the error still occurs.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 2:25 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 26, 2019 7:05 AM in response to marcel_49

Hey marcel_49,

I see that you're having some trouble with your Mac restarting unexpectedly after updating to macOS Catalina.

Follow this resource for some help with this issue. This should help either resolve the issue or help determine if the issue is hardware related: If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message that it restarted or shut down because of a problem - Apple Support

Take care. 

Dec 11, 2019 4:06 AM in response to marcel_49

I was having the same problem on my MacMini ever since upgrading to Catalina. I read on another forum about this fix, and it worked great. No more shut down and restart every night. Just use your Terminal app to make this adjustment. You will have to sign in with your administrator password.

Good luck

sudo pmset -a darkwakes 0

Dec 17, 2019 4:37 AM in response to marcel_49

I had already posted a reply saying that the terminal fix solved my problem. But now I see it has not. It is different now, my computer still shuts down and restarts every night (since Catalina upgrade), but now it's a different error message. Any ideas?

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f94cefad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds

service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since wake (8280 seconds ago): 829, last successful checkin: 0 seconds ago

service: com.apple.WindowServer, total successful checkins since wake (8280 seconds ago): 817, last successful checkin: 120 seconds ago

Dec 24, 2019 7:56 AM in response to marcel_49

I am receiving the same issue. It looks like something to do with USB. I am running as clamshell through a USBC multiplexer with network and multiple monitors. Here is my error:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801aca295c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily.

Dec 31, 2019 1:27 PM in response to Howard3

I have some more information regarding my issue. I always use my MacBook in clamshell mode with dual monitors. I run through the startech TB3DKM2HD. I have been running through this usbc hub for well over a year with no problem. Since the Catalina upgrade my machine reboots every time I enter sleep mode. If I am not running through the hub, there is no problem. My keyboard and mouse also attach through a usb hub which connects the TB3DKM2HD. I probably still have some devices to isolate before I can tell which one in the chain is causing the problem. But this still is crappy when everything has been working perfectly until now, and I could care less about anything in the upgrade. These upgrades should really be slowed down and stability be the guiding concern. These bells and whistles don't have much substance.

Computer restarts every night since Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.