Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot my Disk Password from Time Capsule 4o. Gen.

Hello, I'm using a Time Capsule 4o. Gen with my notebook (windows 10). I forgot the disk password and I can't access my data... Please help me!!!

I have the device and wireless passwords but not the disk password...

Mass-Storage Management Software

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 6:14 PM

Ok..

This has reached the point of needing severe action..

Turn on Guest Access.

Set to read and write.

This gives you a chance to copy everything off the TC. But you are removing all controls.. everyone now has complete access.

Or

Do a full reset and configure the TC all over again.. use all short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

All passwords use the same rules but longer. No files on your hard disk of the TC are lost or altered.

If you update Win10 it will turn off all access to the TC. You stated your problem was forgotten password but I wonder if you might have had windows update and it has turned off SMB1 which is a major security risk. You can find out if it is on or off and turn it back on.

https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/09/windows-10-enable-smb1/

SMB1 is the only protocol Windows is allowed to access the TC and you really do need to think about something better as even Microsoft is worried. SMB1 is how ransomware gets access.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 6:14 PM in response to FredKato

Ok..

This has reached the point of needing severe action..

Turn on Guest Access.

Set to read and write.

This gives you a chance to copy everything off the TC. But you are removing all controls.. everyone now has complete access.

Or

Do a full reset and configure the TC all over again.. use all short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

All passwords use the same rules but longer. No files on your hard disk of the TC are lost or altered.

If you update Win10 it will turn off all access to the TC. You stated your problem was forgotten password but I wonder if you might have had windows update and it has turned off SMB1 which is a major security risk. You can find out if it is on or off and turn it back on.

https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/09/windows-10-enable-smb1/

SMB1 is the only protocol Windows is allowed to access the TC and you really do need to think about something better as even Microsoft is worried. SMB1 is how ransomware gets access.

Nov 23, 2019 1:06 PM in response to FredKato

Are you using the windows version airport utility?

Since you have access to device and device password does not work for disk access (I presume you set a separate one), just go to the disk tab in airport utility.. i will show you on the old Mac version that matches 5.1 windows.

Simply change the password.. or use device password.. ie the Base Station Password.

Update and then you can access the disk.

You did not use accounts did you??

BTW this is easy peasy in later Mac Airport Utility.

Just use show passwords.

The iOS version also has password show

From my very ancient iphone 4.

If you ever get stuck because you lost all passwords you can use soft reset. ie hold in reset for 1sec.. not too long or it will hard reset. Front LED will start blinking. All passwords are now reverted to default for 5min.. none on wireless .. public on device and disk?? I think.

Or just hard reset and redo the configuration.. no files are lost on the TC hard disk. A reset is only names and settings..

Nov 23, 2019 3:22 PM in response to LaPastenague

Are you using the windows version airport utility?

Yes. I'm using the Airport for Windows ver. 5.5.3

You did not use accounts did you??

No. I didn't. But created different passwords for the device and disk.

"Simply change the password.. or use device password.. ie the Base Station Password. "

Tryed both methods but still same error message (384).

"You did not use accounts did you??"

No, i didn't

I will try the soft update. Let see.

Forgot my Disk Password from Time Capsule 4o. Gen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.