Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command-Tab on Mac shows two Safari icons. Second icon opens Safari tab.

I started getting two Safari icons with Command-Tab on my Mac.  Below are photos of these.

When I selected this Safari icon that says “From iPad” with the iPad icon on it, a new tab in Safari opened up (it will launch Safari if Safari is not launched) and went to an obscure website address which showed some bizarre dating ad.

Later, when I selected this Safari icon, it opened up YouTube in a new Safari tab, to some random video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMPTxTmZDzE

I selected it again, it opened up another YouTube video. This time it was a BBC video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujdHM5tG7E

I selected it again, it opened up a new, blank tab in Safari.

I selected it again, it opened up a new, blank tab in Safari.

I selected it again, it opened up a new Safari tab to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VQVNCES?storeType=ebooks&pf_rd_t=40901&pd_rd_i=B00VQVNCES&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pageType=STOREFRONT&pf_rd_p=55d8ba2b-6a0d-4937-9f79-0f68aff76beb&pf_rd_r=4PS8YVSX80RAT9VDBD80&pd_rd_wg=NnZOI&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&ref_=dbs_f_r_shv_rtpb1_55d8ba2b-6a0d-4937-9f79-0f68aff76beb_8&pd_rd_w=d8He5&pf_rd_i=2980423011&pd_rd_r=0cd6b76a-fe6d-459f-b980-9ddf4eb946a2

I selected it again, it opened up to the same Amazon page again.

I selected it again, it went to other Amazon pages:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01L1CEZ6K/ref=s9_acsd_ri_bw_c2_x_0_i?pf_rd_m=A1IM4EOPHS76S7&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_r=4PS8YVSX80RAT9VDBD80&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=ccb03fc1-3fcd-4bf6-a15f-52aaabc5d828&pf_rd_i=2980423011

and

https://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=amb_link_17?ie=UTF8&node=10152330011&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-leftnav&pf_rd_r=4PS8YVSX80RAT9VDBD80&pf_rd_r=4PS8YVSX80RAT9VDBD80&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=643265be-0ddc-4c3d-8b38-263eda589588&pf_rd_p=643265be-0ddc-4c3d-8b38-263eda589588&pf_rd_i=2980423011

How do I stop this icon from appearing when I use Command-Tab?

Today, I got Apple Store to replace the screen on my iPhone.  Afterwards, I connected it to my Mac and used Image Capture.  Right after this is when I got this second Safari icon for the first time.  Is it possible that the Apple Store infected my iPhone with a virus and it transmitted to my Mac? If so, how to I get rid of it?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 1:41 PM

Hello curt0,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with the Safari icon shared from your iPad.

This is coming from Handoff. This article talks about it: Use Continuity to work across Apple devices - Apple Support

"Start a document, an email, or a message on one device and pick up where you left off on another device. Handoff works with apps like Mail, Safari, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. See Pick up where you left off with Handoff."

If you don't wish to have this option, quit Safari on your iPad, or you have the option to turn off Handoff. Pick up where you left off with Handoff on Mac - Apple Support

"Turn Handoff on or off

Note: If you don’t see a Handoff option on your device, it doesn’t work with Handoff.

• On your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click General, then select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices” (below “Recent items”). To turn it off, deselect the option.
  • On iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > General > Handoff, then tap to turn on Handoff. To turn it off, tap the option.
  • On Apple Watch: Open the Watch app on iPhone, go to My Watch > General, then tap to turn on Enable Handoff. To turn it off, tap the option."

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 1:41 PM in response to curt0

Hello curt0,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with the Safari icon shared from your iPad.

This is coming from Handoff. This article talks about it: Use Continuity to work across Apple devices - Apple Support

"Start a document, an email, or a message on one device and pick up where you left off on another device. Handoff works with apps like Mail, Safari, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. See Pick up where you left off with Handoff."

If you don't wish to have this option, quit Safari on your iPad, or you have the option to turn off Handoff. Pick up where you left off with Handoff on Mac - Apple Support

"Turn Handoff on or off

Note: If you don’t see a Handoff option on your device, it doesn’t work with Handoff.

• On your Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click General, then select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices” (below “Recent items”). To turn it off, deselect the option.
  • On iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > General > Handoff, then tap to turn on Handoff. To turn it off, tap the option.
  • On Apple Watch: Open the Watch app on iPhone, go to My Watch > General, then tap to turn on Enable Handoff. To turn it off, tap the option."

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Command-Tab on Mac shows two Safari icons. Second icon opens Safari tab.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.