Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbeats Pro Charging Issues and Power Drains

They’re are clearly designing flaws and multiple issues with these headsets. The units can sit outside of the charging case disconnected from Bluetooth and the battery run dead over night. When you charge them connected or just the case one earpiece always charges faster than the other then the charging shutdowns thinking the set is fully functional and charged. When you go to use them there is always one that is almost dead and the other fully charged or higher. I’ve been reading all of the posts from multiple sites. At this point Apple has to know there is a complete design flaw with this item. I’m calling Apple out on this because I own Beats Studios, Solos and Powerbeats standard. Apple support and the company needs to come clean on this and start fixing the issues or giving refunds to customer or exchanges for a different product to be completely fair to your customers. Below is a screenshot clearly showing the case stop charging one earpiece while the other is still charging allowing that earpiece to start to discharge proof that people are see the left side dies quicker than the right.

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 3:58 PM

I’ve already done all the suggestions on the beats site. I’m a technician by trade. There is a design flaw with these headsets. The only way I’ve found to keep them fully charged on two different sets is to put them in the case with the lid open or the case fully charged and they will charge fine with the lid open. If you take them out of the case and leave them out they will drain down just like if you put them in the case and close the lid. I’ve went to work multiple times and got to the gym and one headphone will be almost completely discharged and the other will be at fifty or so percent. If I take them out and leave them on my desk with the lid open they both will be at 100% when I get to then gym. This is the same way I charge them fully at home and have fixed this problem. Thanks for your suggestions and reply. Here are photos of this issue in action.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 3:58 PM in response to Homeboy30

I’ve already done all the suggestions on the beats site. I’m a technician by trade. There is a design flaw with these headsets. The only way I’ve found to keep them fully charged on two different sets is to put them in the case with the lid open or the case fully charged and they will charge fine with the lid open. If you take them out of the case and leave them out they will drain down just like if you put them in the case and close the lid. I’ve went to work multiple times and got to the gym and one headphone will be almost completely discharged and the other will be at fifty or so percent. If I take them out and leave them on my desk with the lid open they both will be at 100% when I get to then gym. This is the same way I charge them fully at home and have fixed this problem. Thanks for your suggestions and reply. Here are photos of this issue in action.

Dec 13, 2019 2:59 PM in response to noodleholic

I appreciate the reply. Apple is full of it because just to prove them wrong after I sent them in for repair they updated the firmware. The firmware is available now through the Beats updater but it still doesn’t fix the issues. I went an bought another pair Black Friday for a ridiculous low price. They do the same thing. I can mix them up it doesn’t matter. I’ve got hundreds of screenshots of them doing it all day long. They do the exact same thing as the smartcase. I’ve been a technician for over 25 years an I know a design flaw when I see it. They need to start spending some of that cash they have stockpiled to fix these headsets. They are getting as bad as Microsoft to rush things to production. Steve Jobs would have never let crap like this go on. This was while I was asleep and they were seated and the case was plugged in and open. They were charging fine when I went to sleep that night. They are definitely defective and they know it. 250$ for the first pair less than half for the second. I’ve got Powerbeats, Studios and Solos in my home. Thousands of dollars spent with Apple for this bs and lying about it to the customer. Where I’m from you admit it when you are wrong and work to fix the problem not cover it up.

Jan 28, 2020 2:09 PM in response to APacheco91

When I sent mine in to Apple for repair or replacement. They said that they couldn’t find and issue with them but when they returned from them overnight shipping now both ear phones were drained to 0% and the case was at 75%. They are definitely defective an I hope someone from Apple reads this because I’ve spent thousands of dollars on new phones and headsets this past year and get that kind of answer and treatment that’s unacceptable now Walmart will not take care of me through the extended service plan I bought because they say it’s still under warranty with Apple. So I’m stuck with 250$ of junk.

Nov 26, 2019 5:13 PM in response to Homeboy30

Hello Homeboy30,

Thanks for checking the article and trying the troubleshooting.

I recommend having the headphones checked at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store. You will be able to discuss the issue with a certified technician, and they will provide any available options to assist you.

Please make an appointment if you are visiting an Apple Store. You can find a service provider using this link: Apple Find Locations

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Nov 26, 2019 6:20 PM in response to sterling r

Like I said before I’m a technician by trade. I beta test for Apple with a group of technicians. This is the second set of headphones to do the same exact thing. There is a design flaw in these like there was a design flaw in the iPhone X screen and the iPhone 6s and the aluminum Apple Watch series’s 2/3 screen. They are not just going to come out and admit this because it’s going to be a major issue. There are also design issues in the hinges of the Beats Studio 3 headsets with the screws coming out of them. I’ve already been down that route twice now with different headsets. They’ve been good to replace them but it’s a problem nonetheless with 250$ plus on headsets. I got a set of jabra all wireless that sounds better and works better for less money and headache. I’ve got Bose headsets with less problems. The reason I have so many headsets is I like electronics and testing plus I have constant ringing in my ears from 14 years of football. Just to show you here’s another picture from a little bit ago with them doing it while I’m wearing them.

Nov 26, 2019 2:51 PM in response to Homeboy30

Hello Homeboy30,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your Powerbeats Pro headphones.

I recommend resetting your headphones as this article states: Reset your Beats earphones - Beats By Dre

"If you have sound, Bluetooth, or charging issues with your earphones, you might want to reset them."

There is also a link at the end of the article to use the Beats Updater to ensure your firmware is updated.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Dec 13, 2019 1:16 PM in response to Homeboy30

My Powerbeats Pro too have the draining problem - Right side always drains faster than left side. This problem along with a button issue actually surfaced just 1 day after purchase...had to return them to a service center for a fix. Took them around a week just to send me the same pair of earphones with the same problem. They didn't even fix the problem. The staff at the store was kind enough to give me a new pair. Now that the button issue is gone, but the battery drain issue is still there. I do believe there's been a design flaw in these earphones.

Jan 28, 2020 1:13 PM in response to Homeboy30

Exactly the same, I am using them with an Samsung phone, I trusted this beats for being "apple" over the in ear wireless buds from Samsung, everytime I'm ready for the gym the left ear bud is drained at 0%.

I don't understand even with the case fully charged and Bluetooth off the entire day.

But after. Seeing this it's definatetly a design issue, I should've gone with the Samsung or jabras.

Powerbeats Pro Charging Issues and Power Drains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.