Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does upgrade to Catalina eliminate the use of CS6 apps?

Does upgrade to Catalina eliminate use of CS6 apps?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 8:29 PM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2019 2:28 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thanks. I am really annoyed at both Adobe & Apple. I have the complete CS6 Suite of which the only one I use is InDesign and only about 10 times per year and mostly reworks of existing documents. Now I am compelled to pay Adobe over $240/year for the wonderful CC version of InDesign. I am already paying over $100/year for PS and LR for the Photography package. Why cannot Apple software also be written to accommodate existing 32bit apps as well. I could care less about 64bit apps!

Nov 24, 2019 2:35 PM in response to TECostner

Then go back to Mojave where your older apps run.

CS6 apps are 64 bit, but not completely. That's why they're out in Catalina. Adobe is also under no obligation to keep 7 year old software going. No more than Microsoft had any desire to keep Office 2011 going. They don't stay in business by keeping one purchase going forever. They stay in business by getting you to upgrade.

If you need Catalina for other apps, then get a VM such as Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox. Install an older version of macOS within that, and then your CS6 software. Either that, or have a separate partition to run Mojave/CS6 on. Boot between them as needed.

Nov 24, 2019 8:41 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for your response. I've never left Mojave and I can run it on my Laptop Pro which means Apple will lose a sale to an upgrade. Further, at 79, I lived through the birth of InDesign having been a disciple for Aldus, Pagemaker and ultimately InDesign and I'm not even a professional designer. I did own a commercial photography studio and an ad agency. I saw Quark XPress dominate the graphics department but with its steep learning curve believed it would be surpassed. Adobe was lucky because of Apple improving their operating systems and together they prospered during a critical period in publishing. I remember when InDesign was believed to be more of a tool for the consumer market and not the professional publishing industry. Today there remain many of us who enjoy creating a newsletter for a group of Senior Citizens or even a direct mail postcard (all gratis) for a small volunteer group but to add an unnecessary $21/month to "rent" software may have a longer term impact than Adobe realizes. So yes, I will continue with Mojave on my laptop and use InDesign as it is the only app of the CS collection I ever use. And I did not need the "lecture" as to why Adobe needs to stay in business. Been there, done that.

Does upgrade to Catalina eliminate the use of CS6 apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.