Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max - Battery Capacity at 97%

So my iPhone 11 Pro Max is almost 2 months old and I literally bought it a week after it was released. I checked the battery capacity today and I noticed that it was at 97%. This is a bit strange because my iPhone XS Max didn’t drop to 99% even 5 months into using it.

Has anyone else also faced this issue?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 4:56 AM

It’s happening the same on mine,

went to the store and they ran a diagnostic over the phone and said the battery is working within normal conditions... it’s not normal from my perspective that a new phone has already lost 2% in battery capacity

92 replies

Dec 22, 2019 11:42 AM in response to Pankkaj

I got the exactly the same issue on my iPhone 11 pro max, after 9 weeks of usage, it became 98%, and I checked today and realised that it's 97%

A lot of people say it's a theoretical number, and this doesn't have an impact on your phone unless it reaches 80%

I feel like the battery drains faster now, like 20% in 4 hours, which wasn't the case before, but I still think it's a lot better than the iPhone 7 plus which wouldn't stand a full day.

Jan 4, 2020 8:52 AM in response to Pankkaj

You all keep saying it's an "issue," which it most definitely is NOT. Battery health fluctuates and yes, declines with use. Batteries are consumables and every time your battery goes through a full cycle recharge, it depletes a little. iPhone batterie's will provide normal use through 500 full recycle charges before needing to be replaced. The health indication will also change depending on when the reading was taken, and will change based on how the iPhone was being used just before the reading.

A drop of a couple points IS NOTHING to be worried about and would not be an issue Apple will address or do anything about as there is NOTHING wrong with your device.

Jan 22, 2020 3:39 PM in response to shayaanfrompk

Yes this is happening to me . After a month of having it the battery dropped to 99% and then every week after that it’s gone down a percentage . I am now at 97%. This is my 3rd phone replacement and it keeps doing the same thing. It’s really starting to upset me because I keep replacing this ! I’m half tempted to pay it off and get another phone. Apple is kinda far to get to for me. I was wondering if I got a bigger gig that would treat me better as far as this issue goes . My cousin has a higher gig and hers runs great. Seems to be mainly 64gb that’s doing this. I could be wrong but I would like to know if that truly would make the difference . Love the phone but this a pain and not normal!

Jan 22, 2020 6:58 PM in response to pookiebear9228

It may feel like a pain to you, but you are reading too much into this. It is not a problem and replacing the phones is not going to change things. I'm surprised that Apple is replacing the devices with a 97% battery health. As has been stated numerous times in this thread, unless the battery health gets down to 80% within a 1-year period, it isn't a problem. Battery health is an estimation, and is based on the temperature of the battery, charging cycles, and usage statistics. Continually checking this status is also a problem as well. You may find that one day it will be a percentage or two above what it was the last time you checked it.

Jan 22, 2020 9:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Apple replaced it because both guys that helped me said this shouldn’t be happening and it’s not normal behavior. I agreed because all my phones have made it a long time before dropping unlike this one. Also I treat my phones very well . At the rate this is going I’ll be down to 80 in no time. May I ask why checking it is an issue ? Just asking.

Feb 1, 2020 4:15 PM in response to shayaanfrompk

Your battery capacity is not measured in weeks or months, it is measured in full charge cycles. One full charge cycle is discharge to zero, then charge to 100%, or any combination of charges that total 100% (for example, charging from 30% to 80% twice). It is spec’d to stay above 80% for 500 full charge cycles. That works out to about 25 full charge cycles for each 1% drop in capacity. So depending on how heavy a user you are that may be a reasonable number. You should only check it after charging to 100% and right after restarting the phone; that is when it is most accurate. If it reaches 80% while it is still in warranty (one year basic, 2 years if you purchased AppleCare+ when you got the phone) Apple will replace the battery for free. Outside of warranty the cost is $69 for an iPhone 11.

You can check the number of full charge cycles if you have a Mac and install the Coconut Battery app. Or just not worry about it until it gets close to 80%.

How you use it can affect the number of full charge cycles. For example, when the phone is plugged in it uses mains power, so the battery is not being discharged (and thus need to be recharged). It’s a good idea to charge it overnight, every night, so all of the “housekeeping” the phone does happens using mains power. And if you enable iCloud backup the phone will also be backed up every night when locked and connected to Wi-Fi.

Feb 16, 2020 5:07 PM in response to Smaldonado92

I bought the iphone 11 pro max, 2 months ago and I have same problem of this community , my phone drop from 100 to 97 % in just 2 months, I phone a friend because we bought the same iPhone on december, and he registers battery at 100%, then I call apple support and the guy who attend my call told me is a normal behavior of iPhone's battery, however I'm concern that phone still dropping in that way.

Feb 16, 2020 5:36 PM in response to riconde7

riconde7 wrote:

I bought the iphone 11 pro max, 2 months ago and I have same problem of this community , my phone drop from 100 to 97 % in just 2 months, I phone a friend because we bought the same iPhone on december, and he registers battery at 100%, then I call apple support and the guy who attend my call told me is a normal behavior of iPhone's battery, however I'm concern that phone still dropping in that way.

Unless you and your friend have exactly the same apps on your phone, are receiving exactly the same calls, messages and notifications, are always in the exact same places and have changed your phones the exact same number of time, it's useless to compare the two phones.

Yes, it's normal.

iPhone 11 Pro Max - Battery Capacity at 97%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.