Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I lock off to keep updated from being loaded? In years of using computers never once has an update helped, but gas often locked up or in one case trashed a MacBook.

How do I lock off to keep updated from being loaded? In years of using computers never once has an update helped, but gas often locked up or in one case trashed a MacBook.

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 7:35 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Duanen76!

I understand you don't want your MacBook Pro to update automatically. I'd be happy to provide information to help you set this up.

Use the steps here: How to update the software on your Mac

"How to get updates for macOS Mojave or later

If you've upgraded to macOS Mojave or later, follow these steps to keep it up to date: 

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu , then click Software Update to check for updates.
  2. If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them. Or click ”More info” to see details about each update and select specific updates to install.
  3. When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, the installed version of macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes SafariiTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.

To find updates for iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and other apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, open the App Store on your Mac, then click the Updates tab.

To automatically install macOS updates in the future, including apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, select ”Automatically keep my Mac up to date.” Your Mac will notify you when updates require it to restart, so you can always choose to install those later."

Make sure that "automatically keep my Mac up to date" is unchecked.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 7:35 AM in response to Duanen76

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Duanen76!

I understand you don't want your MacBook Pro to update automatically. I'd be happy to provide information to help you set this up.

Use the steps here: How to update the software on your Mac

"How to get updates for macOS Mojave or later

If you've upgraded to macOS Mojave or later, follow these steps to keep it up to date: 

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu , then click Software Update to check for updates.
  2. If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them. Or click ”More info” to see details about each update and select specific updates to install.
  3. When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, the installed version of macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes SafariiTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.

To find updates for iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and other apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, open the App Store on your Mac, then click the Updates tab.

To automatically install macOS updates in the future, including apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, select ”Automatically keep my Mac up to date.” Your Mac will notify you when updates require it to restart, so you can always choose to install those later."

Make sure that "automatically keep my Mac up to date" is unchecked.

Have a great day!

Nov 27, 2019 8:21 AM in response to i_rina

Not what I asked, periodically Apple will force an update. While every update has caused disruption and confusion without helping anything, they forced an update that trashed my wife’s computer requiring a complete wipe and reload and about 80 hours of work and a few hundred $ in service to restore. Apple said tough stuff if you don’t like it expect more.

We are looking to lock Apple out of OUR devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.