Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

‘SSL Error’ Alert on iPad

My iPad keeps popping up with an alert that says “an SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made”.

I am unable to play music that isn’t already downloaded from the Apple ‘Music’ app, or download any apps.

I have tried both turning the wifi on my iPad off and back on, as well as turning the power button off and back on again. None of this is working though.

If someone could please help me that would be amazing because as a student, I have an English presentation due tomorrow and I can’t download the Apple ‘Pages’ or Microsoft ‘Word’ apps that I need.

iPad Air 2, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 24, 2019 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 9:00 AM

This issue is caused when you try to communicate to a secure (https) website and the version of SSL used in that communication is outdated. Most, if not all, secure connections today use TLS instead of SSL.

Regardless, does this happen only when connected to your school's Wi-Fi network or to any Wi-Fi network with your iPad? If it is the former, you may want to talk with your school's IT folks for assistance. For the latter, you can try the following. Stop at any step that resolves the issue.

1. Restart your (perform a soft reset) iPad. To do so, press and hold the sleep/wake button while pressing and holding the Home button. When you see the Apple logo, release both buttons. (Note: This will NOT delete any data or apps, nor change any of its settings.)
  2. Toggle Airplane Mode OFF, then ON.
  3. Reset the iPad's Wi-Fi settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  4. Perform a "Reset All Settings" reset: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 9:00 AM in response to shari_brennand

This issue is caused when you try to communicate to a secure (https) website and the version of SSL used in that communication is outdated. Most, if not all, secure connections today use TLS instead of SSL.

Regardless, does this happen only when connected to your school's Wi-Fi network or to any Wi-Fi network with your iPad? If it is the former, you may want to talk with your school's IT folks for assistance. For the latter, you can try the following. Stop at any step that resolves the issue.

1. Restart your (perform a soft reset) iPad. To do so, press and hold the sleep/wake button while pressing and holding the Home button. When you see the Apple logo, release both buttons. (Note: This will NOT delete any data or apps, nor change any of its settings.)
  2. Toggle Airplane Mode OFF, then ON.
  3. Reset the iPad's Wi-Fi settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  4. Perform a "Reset All Settings" reset: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

‘SSL Error’ Alert on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.