Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Distance

How far apart can the iPhone and Apple watch be separated if using cellular data? Would like to use watch for music while jogging without carrying phone.

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 5:43 PM

And if it is a cellular Apple Watch and you are paying your iPhone cellular carrier to share the iPhone phone number, then you can be across the country from your iPhone, as long as you are still in the area covered by your carrier.

There is 1 restriction, in that is you want to send/receive SMS/MMS messages, the iPhone has to be on the internet, either via WiFi or cellular, but it can still be anywhere in your carriers service area.

At the moment only Apple Music streaming works.

You can transfer music you own and is stored on your iPhone over to the Apple Watch and play that. As well as podcasts and audiobooks.

Some streaming services, such as Pandora allow paying customers to download and transfer off-line playlists over to the Apple Watch.

Please read the following

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

and make sure you read the footnotes, as they contain valuable information

FYI: with my GPS only Apple Watch, I get around 40-50 feet distance between my iPhone and Apple Watch via Bluetooth (subject to walls, floors, metal objects between the 2, and other radio interference).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2019 5:43 PM in response to chelsearl

And if it is a cellular Apple Watch and you are paying your iPhone cellular carrier to share the iPhone phone number, then you can be across the country from your iPhone, as long as you are still in the area covered by your carrier.

There is 1 restriction, in that is you want to send/receive SMS/MMS messages, the iPhone has to be on the internet, either via WiFi or cellular, but it can still be anywhere in your carriers service area.

At the moment only Apple Music streaming works.

You can transfer music you own and is stored on your iPhone over to the Apple Watch and play that. As well as podcasts and audiobooks.

Some streaming services, such as Pandora allow paying customers to download and transfer off-line playlists over to the Apple Watch.

Please read the following

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

and make sure you read the footnotes, as they contain valuable information

FYI: with my GPS only Apple Watch, I get around 40-50 feet distance between my iPhone and Apple Watch via Bluetooth (subject to walls, floors, metal objects between the 2, and other radio interference).

Apple Watch Distance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.