Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad updates

What happens to an iPad when you can't update it any further? Does that mean that you have to purchase another iPad?

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 6:18 PM

Your iPad is too old and cannot upgrade/update past iOS 9.3.5.

Sorry.

You want Disney+ on an iPad, you will need to purchase a much newer iPad.

An iPad Air 1 or newer.

An iPad 5th generation or newer

An iPad Mini 4 or newer.

iPad Pro 1st gen or newer.

Best of Luck to You!

7 replies

Nov 25, 2019 5:47 PM in response to Corky-4

It will continue to work on the last supported version that you were able to install. After a couple years Apps in the App Store may demand a newer iOS version than your device can support, meaning that some or most Apps cannot be installed anymore, but some may offer last compatible versions instead.

It is up to you, but i would personally update my iOS device as soon as it stops recieving iOS updates, but they are definitely usable further on. It just depends if you want the latest iOS version or not.

Apple gives every device a long update cycle, 5+ years.

If your iPad runs iOS 12, but cannot support iPadOS 13, your device is 5-6 years old (2013 iPad Air 1st gen, or 2013 iPad mini 2 or 2014 mini 3).

If your iPad runs 10.3.3/10.3.4 and cannot be updated further, you have the 4th gen iPad which is from late 2012.

If your iPad runs 9.3.5/9.3.6 and cannot be updated further, you have an iPad 2 or iPad 3 from Early 2011/Early 2012 or iPad mini 1st gen from late 2012.

I think after all those years a new device is justified.

IPad updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.