Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on iPad

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and I have been considering buying an iPad 10.2 recently. Do I need an iPhone to use iMessage on an iPad or iPod (wi-fi only)?

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 7:53 AM

No You Do Not Need To Have A iPhone To Be Able To Use iMessage On A iPad.

You Can Have Just One Apple Device To Use iMessage. But You Can Only Send/Receive iMessages To Other Apple Devices Which Means You Can’t Send iMessages To A Android Device.

You Can Send/Receive iMessages To Any Apple Device (iPhone/iPad/iPod/iWatch/Mac Laptop~Desktop)

Also There Is 2 Different Options You Can Get There’s “WiFi Only iPad” & Then There’s “WiFi + Cellular iPad” .

The WiFi + Cellular iPad Has To Have A Plan As In Like A Phone. You Would Have To Pay For A Plan Like You Do For Your Phone & If Your Out & Not Connected To WiFi You’d Still Be Able To Use It Cause It Would Use The Data From The Plan.

On Both Of The iPads If Your Not Able To Connect To WiFi Or Don’t Want To Use Your iPad Data Or Don’t Have Any Data Left On Your iPad Plan You Can Also Connect The iPad To Your Phones HotSpot If Your Phone Has A HotSpot Some Phones Have It & Some Don’t. But If You Connect The iPad To Your Phones HotSpot That Means It Will Be Using The Data On Your Phone Plan Just As If It Was Your Phone.

Hopefully I Helped Answer Your Question & Not Still Confused

But If You Got Confused Or Didn’t Understand Something Just Let Me Know & I’ll Try To Help You Anyway I Can!!!!

Have A Good Day/Night

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 7:53 AM in response to PalmerScuddet04

No You Do Not Need To Have A iPhone To Be Able To Use iMessage On A iPad.

You Can Have Just One Apple Device To Use iMessage. But You Can Only Send/Receive iMessages To Other Apple Devices Which Means You Can’t Send iMessages To A Android Device.

You Can Send/Receive iMessages To Any Apple Device (iPhone/iPad/iPod/iWatch/Mac Laptop~Desktop)

Also There Is 2 Different Options You Can Get There’s “WiFi Only iPad” & Then There’s “WiFi + Cellular iPad” .

The WiFi + Cellular iPad Has To Have A Plan As In Like A Phone. You Would Have To Pay For A Plan Like You Do For Your Phone & If Your Out & Not Connected To WiFi You’d Still Be Able To Use It Cause It Would Use The Data From The Plan.

On Both Of The iPads If Your Not Able To Connect To WiFi Or Don’t Want To Use Your iPad Data Or Don’t Have Any Data Left On Your iPad Plan You Can Also Connect The iPad To Your Phones HotSpot If Your Phone Has A HotSpot Some Phones Have It & Some Don’t. But If You Connect The iPad To Your Phones HotSpot That Means It Will Be Using The Data On Your Phone Plan Just As If It Was Your Phone.

Hopefully I Helped Answer Your Question & Not Still Confused

But If You Got Confused Or Didn’t Understand Something Just Let Me Know & I’ll Try To Help You Anyway I Can!!!!

Have A Good Day/Night

iMessage on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.