You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad. Model A1489 4 digit password that no one remembers How to get it or reset it so we don't loose info?

My sister set up my mothers Ipad. Model A1489 Microsoft did a update on its own and now the ipad is asking us for a 4 digit password that no one remembers creating probably when my mom starting using it 5 years ago. How can I get or bypass the password

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 3:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 3:22 AM

Being Apple, I doubt that Microsoft had much to do with this dilemma 🙂

You can’t bypass the Passcode. You can reset the iPad and set-up again “as new”, but you will need to know the AppleiD and associated password for the iCloud Account that was used to activate the iPad, as, without these credentials, the “Activation Lock” (enabled by default) will prevent reactivation.

This process will obviously wipe the device of existing data.

When setting-up again “as new”, you’ll have the option to restore data from your iCloud/iTunes backup if you have one (you might have a very recent automatic iCloud backup - unless you disabled it).

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud/mm7e756df7fd/icloud

I hope you find this helpful.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2019 3:22 AM in response to Iwanther2begreat

Being Apple, I doubt that Microsoft had much to do with this dilemma 🙂

You can’t bypass the Passcode. You can reset the iPad and set-up again “as new”, but you will need to know the AppleiD and associated password for the iCloud Account that was used to activate the iPad, as, without these credentials, the “Activation Lock” (enabled by default) will prevent reactivation.

This process will obviously wipe the device of existing data.

When setting-up again “as new”, you’ll have the option to restore data from your iCloud/iTunes backup if you have one (you might have a very recent automatic iCloud backup - unless you disabled it).

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud/mm7e756df7fd/icloud

I hope you find this helpful.

Ipad. Model A1489 4 digit password that no one remembers How to get it or reset it so we don't loose info?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.