Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music won't import an mp4 song?

For the life of me I can't get Music to import an mp4 song.

It lives in a folder on my MacBook. If I double click it Music will play it just fine. I want to import it into my music library so I can then play it on my iOS devices.

I launch Music, go to File, select Import, navigate the nested folders to find the music file, highlight it, and click Open.

[Aside, why the blank it say "Open" instead of "Import" I don't know. I want to IMPORT it to Music, NOT open it. But I digress.]

And.....nothing happens. Nothing. I've repeatedly done the above while expecting it to work (which is one definition of insanity and, yes, Apple, as usual you are driving me crazy).

Please, someone tell me how to import one single, solitary, 38 second mp4 sound file into Music, because the task is evidently beyond the capabilities of this 35 year Apple veteran.

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 2:05 PM

I would imagine that Music behaves the same was as iTunes, nothing is played by the app unless it is first added to the library. It is likely already part of the library and doesn't need to be added again. Use the Songs list and sort by Last Played to see if it shows up near the top of the list. Perhaps you need to tweak its metadata.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 2:05 PM in response to alienbogey

I would imagine that Music behaves the same was as iTunes, nothing is played by the app unless it is first added to the library. It is likely already part of the library and doesn't need to be added again. Use the Songs list and sort by Last Played to see if it shows up near the top of the list. Perhaps you need to tweak its metadata.

tt2

Music won't import an mp4 song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.