Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps zooms out on its own during navigation

When I'm using the IOS Maps app for navigating a route, it automatically zooms out to show the entire route after 120 seconds. Let's say I'm following directions on a twenty-five mile route. If I have to navigate a complicated maze of city streets I'll zoom in to show the next turn. No matter what, after two minutes the screen automatically zooms out to show the entire twenty-five mile route, causing me to have to re-zoom frantically as I approach the next turn. I can't get it to stop this behavior...why can't I just zoom to the level of detail I want to see and have it stay there?

iPhone 7, IOS 13.2.3, Zoom feature OFF in Accessibility settings.

iPhone 7

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2019 12:57 PM

Noticed this today also when I nearly crashed my car trying to reset it every few mins. It’s ridiculous, absolutely terrible and dangerous this to implement in a maps app. Can’t find a fix I think app just added this as a “feature”! Insane...

7 replies

Jan 2, 2020 7:59 AM in response to captaingyro

OK, I think I've figured it out. When you pick a location in the Maps app and then tap the blue Directions button, you're presented with a number of route options, one of which is suggested (dark blue) and some others that are options (lighter blue). This is the stage where I've been zooming in on a particular route and trying to follow it, only to have the map zoom out after a couple of minutes. Here's what I believe is happening, and why I believe you have to take one more step:

At the first screen, with all the route options, the app is waiting for you to choose one and then tap the green GO button. If you don't tap that Go button, the app eventually zooms out again to show all the routes. I hadn't been tapping the GO button because I didn't want turn-by-turn instructions, but I see now that by tapping it we can get to the functionality we want.

Try this: pick one of the routes, then tap the green GO button. The screen will zoom in to your location and the first turn will be displayed at the top. Now here's the secret: tap that first turn instruction (that's right...tap on the black portion at the top of the screen) and turn-by-turn will be suspended. You can now zoom the map to any level of detail you want. There's one minor drawback...if you zoom to a portion of the route that doesn't include your present location the map will shift back to show your present location within a few seconds, but your zoom level will remain the same. Since I usually want my present location visible on the screen this is a limitation I can live with.

So, to sum up, in order to stop the Maps app from zooming out to show all the route options, pick a route, select the green GO button, then cancel turn-by-turn nav by tapping on the first direction (in black, at the top of the screen).

Jan 2, 2020 10:36 AM in response to captaingyro

Interesting. I’ll have to try pressing the GO button and then the turn by turn directions and see does it work. Does this also stop Siri talking? I DO NOT want turn by turn instructions, I simple want to see my route and follow it as I wish without it jumping all over the place! Can’t believe Apple actually changed this stupid functionality for millions of users. I’ve had to use google maps for a while now as apple maps is no longer save fore me to use this way. Stupid Apple, utterly stupid move.

Jan 2, 2020 8:13 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Strange...I have been using the technique above in my car using Apple CarPlay and it works well...I can choose the zoom level and drag the screen to see different portions of the route. In my case, the map appears on the car's display and the turn-by-turn steps are on the phone's screen. Are you sure you're cancelling the turn-by-turn feature after selecting the green GO button?

Maps zooms out on its own during navigation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.