Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera is being used by another application.

ever since I’ve updated my iPhone to iOS 13 I’ve been having trouble with FaceTime. Every time I FaceTime somebody and flip the camera around this (see below) pops up and on the other persons screen it’s paused. I have shut down all my apps, and nothing is using my camera that shouldn’t be so what’s going on? It’s ever so annoying is this a bug? Or any ideas how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 11:36 PM

Read this --> FaceTime Camera: "Your camera is in use by another ...

The FaceTime camera can be used by one application at a time. The message, "Your camera is in use by another application" may appear when you try to video call. ... Quit all applications that are using the FaceTime camera. If you don't know which applications might be using the FaceTime camera, quit all open applications.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 11:36 PM in response to courtncyjayde

Read this --> FaceTime Camera: "Your camera is in use by another ...

The FaceTime camera can be used by one application at a time. The message, "Your camera is in use by another application" may appear when you try to video call. ... Quit all applications that are using the FaceTime camera. If you don't know which applications might be using the FaceTime camera, quit all open applications.

Nov 27, 2019 5:45 AM in response to courtncyjayde

courtncyjayde Said:

It’s ever so annoying is this a bug? Or any ideas how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.

No. It is Not a Bug — Disable the Camera:

Just disable the camera (turn if off), like I do, when there is no need to use it.

Enable it when you have a need to use it (i.e. using FaceTime)

So, to disable the camera, Go Here:

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Recreations > Allowed Apps > Tap Camera, so that it is always grey in-color.

Tap it back to Green, to enable it, when there is a need for it.

Screenshot: Camera Off

Camera is being used by another application.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.