Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto uncertainty

I am currently scanning in many family photographs into iPhoto and putting them into smart albums. First, after scanning the photos, I send them over to "downloads" and then send them over to iPhoto where they show up as Imports. Then I edit them and assign them keywords. The good news: This has been successful. The uncertainty has to do with all the pictures that not only are in the specified album but remain in the Import area, too. If I were to delete them from the Import folder would that delete them from the album as well?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 3:09 PM

The 'import area' isn't an area. It's a list. Basically it's simply a shortcut to recently imported images, so that you can get to them quickly. Similarly, an Album is also a list - one that you create, where you group images on whatever criteria you prefer. The only place were the images actually reside is the Library. So, an image can be in a million albums and imports areas etc, and use no extra disk space at all. They all just refer back to the image in the Library.

So, don't delete them from the Import section. Over time, as you import more, the earlier ones drop off the list (and remain in the library).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 3:09 PM in response to Billy Mammoth

The 'import area' isn't an area. It's a list. Basically it's simply a shortcut to recently imported images, so that you can get to them quickly. Similarly, an Album is also a list - one that you create, where you group images on whatever criteria you prefer. The only place were the images actually reside is the Library. So, an image can be in a million albums and imports areas etc, and use no extra disk space at all. They all just refer back to the image in the Library.

So, don't delete them from the Import section. Over time, as you import more, the earlier ones drop off the list (and remain in the library).

iPhoto uncertainty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.