Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erase key is grey out

i try to manage my macbook air - OSX 11.6 storage but there is 'OTHER" items took up 80G from my disk. My questions are:

1) trying to manage storage manually, I already removed all apps and programs I don't need, but I don't know what are in "other" and how to open it to delete unwanted app/programs

2) tried using DISK UTILITY - to restore from manufacturer default but the ERASE BUTTON is GREY OUT . Please tell me why and how to fix/use that erase button to restore my mac

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 28, 2019 6:17 AM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2019 8:44 AM in response to ricnte

Hey ricnte,

I understand you're wanting some information about increasing available storage space on your MacBook Air, and you're also wondering why you're unable to erase the drive. I'll be happy to help out.

The Other category includes files and data that don't fit in any of the other categories. You can learn more about the categories here: See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support.

When trying to erase the drive, the erase button may have been grayed for a few reasons. Make sure these are the steps followed for erasing the drive, and that the correct drive is selected: How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support.

Cheers. 

erase key is grey out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.