Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to locate and download entire iMessage History for a certain number / contact?

How to locate and download entire iMessage History for a certain number / contact?

Or the entire message history for all the iMessages?

How about the message history with the numbers that are not using iPhones (non-iMessage)?

I assume this will be easier to do on a Mac when the iCloud backup and sync is on, as in my case, rather than trying it on the iPhone.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 11:02 AM

Hi:

Sorry, I guess I failed to explain in detail.

I have not lost any messages. I am not trying to restore them. The messages are there, however there are literally thousands of messages between a family member and myself and they have emotional value. I want to download and archive them in a format that is easily searchable. As of now, all you can do keep scrolling down and have the older messages show up on the screen after they are downloaded -I think- from iCloud. It takes forever to go even for a few months back to find a certain message. Not practical at all. If iCloud keeps the whole history of messages, then there should be a way to locate the texts folder/file with that specific number. And hopefully then download them and search and view them...

As for "If you are syncing Messages with iCloud, there isn't a way to access the conversations in iCloud." I was hoping to download them and maybe convert them a text file?

Otherwise, this question is dear Apple, what is the point of keeping an archive of text messages going back for years, if there is no practical way of reaching and retrieving them easily? Why archive something that you cannot search and view?

Thanks

Murat

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 11:02 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi:

Sorry, I guess I failed to explain in detail.

I have not lost any messages. I am not trying to restore them. The messages are there, however there are literally thousands of messages between a family member and myself and they have emotional value. I want to download and archive them in a format that is easily searchable. As of now, all you can do keep scrolling down and have the older messages show up on the screen after they are downloaded -I think- from iCloud. It takes forever to go even for a few months back to find a certain message. Not practical at all. If iCloud keeps the whole history of messages, then there should be a way to locate the texts folder/file with that specific number. And hopefully then download them and search and view them...

As for "If you are syncing Messages with iCloud, there isn't a way to access the conversations in iCloud." I was hoping to download them and maybe convert them a text file?

Otherwise, this question is dear Apple, what is the point of keeping an archive of text messages going back for years, if there is no practical way of reaching and retrieving them easily? Why archive something that you cannot search and view?

Thanks

Murat

Nov 29, 2019 10:51 AM in response to muratfrombrooklyn

Some people have been able to get a conversation to download by starting a new conversation with the same person.

If you are syncing Messages with iCloud, there isn't a way to access the conversations in iCloud.

If you aren't syncing Messages with iCloud, do you have a backup you can restore from? Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.