You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Voice recent app change - workaround?

Has anyone found an alternative to the Google Voice app that will work on older iOS versions?

I received an email from Google saying as of 11-18-2019 older versions of their iOS app would no longer be supported.

They did not say what iOS version is needed to use the NEW app which would be nice to know.

Our iDevices with iOS 3 through 8 have now been crippled (can not make calls or send texts) and the App Store offers no upgrade to what is installed.

There are 3rd party iOS apps that allow one to enter their Google account info and then one can make/receive texts and calls.

i.e. GV connect & GV+

I tried GV+ (free) but it refused to connect to my account.

Has anyone found an alternative to the Google Voice app that will work on older iOS versions?

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 12:33 PM

There are always Workarounds - that's what I like about the digital age.

Also I find it hard to send a working device to eWaste but that's another story.

For anyone else whom is a GV user and has now found their GV app does not work, there is another Google option: Hangouts or GMail apps

I have installed Hangouts for iOS8, 9 &10 devices which use the defunct GV app.

Using a computer one can turn on GV functions for Hangouts and Hangouts functions for GV.

Then one can make an receive calls and texts from anyone (such has to be turned on in the Hangouts app).

Googles site has information on using the GMail app for GV as well.

Would still like to know if there are any 3rd party apps that would work in case any one here knows.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2019 12:33 PM in response to icwvx

There are always Workarounds - that's what I like about the digital age.

Also I find it hard to send a working device to eWaste but that's another story.

For anyone else whom is a GV user and has now found their GV app does not work, there is another Google option: Hangouts or GMail apps

I have installed Hangouts for iOS8, 9 &10 devices which use the defunct GV app.

Using a computer one can turn on GV functions for Hangouts and Hangouts functions for GV.

Then one can make an receive calls and texts from anyone (such has to be turned on in the Hangouts app).

Googles site has information on using the GMail app for GV as well.

Would still like to know if there are any 3rd party apps that would work in case any one here knows.

Nov 30, 2019 4:47 PM in response to KiltedTim

I agree about iOS8 but also 9 & 10 are left out.

Many devices stop updating at iOS9.

The MAJOR problem is that Google has disabled the old apps, rather than just introducing a update. PLUS the Google Voice web site no longer can be accessed with a web browser on devices running the older iOS versions.

We have 4 GV accounts and 6 devices, only one has a compatible iOS. We would have to purchase 3 new(er) devices to continue use.

Hence the query as to whether anyone here uses a GV app not from Google.

Sadly I fear non Google apps like GV connect etc. will have the same problem (older versions will no longer work).

Nov 30, 2019 6:36 PM in response to icwvx

The last version of the iPhone that tops out at iOS 10 is the iPhone 5/5c.

The 5 has been discontinued for over 6 years. The 5c has been discontinued for over 5 years.

Your expectations are unreasonable.

Your devices have outlived their usefulness when it comes to modern apps.

Your complaint is basically the equivalent of complaining that a PC with an Intel 386 processor and Windows 95 can't run Office 2019.

I'm sorry, but it's time to move on.

Google Voice recent app change - workaround?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.