Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP - Finder, Spotlight and other apps aren't working - Yosemite 10.10.2

Hi and thanks for clicking on this post -- I hope you can help!

So yesterday, my macbook pro's fan was on, but I was barely doing anything intensive, at first I thought it was chrome, but after closing it, it still didn't change anything, so I opened activity monitor and saw "bird" was pushing the cpu, I quickly googled bird and saw it had something to do with icloud (I did have a few "pages" window open).

So I killed it and then pages became unresponsive and I didn't think much of it.

So I tried restarting my computer and then pages was still not launching (unresponsive) and then I noticed that Finder wasn't working and none of my files were appearing on my desktop. Spotlight and Preview as well weren't working.

However, Chrome and other apps are working (I haven't tested everything), so I'm googling for solutions and here's what I've done so far, but still no progress:

- Force Re-launching Finder (Through force quit application).

- Killing and relaunching Finder and Spotlight from Activity Monitor.

- Go into safe mode, which was super slow and screen was super glitchy, finder still not working.

- Create a new user, logged into it, finder was working, browsed through a few folders, then restarted my computer, Finder still not working in my main user account.

- Went into terminal and tried multiple different variations of deleting .plist and restarting my computer, still no progress.

- I tried using disk utility to verify and repair, but disk utility found no issues detected.

- System Preference works, so I went in and I tried logging out of icloud (thinking the issue might be related to that), when i tried signing out, system preference froze.

Please help! I'm looking for a solution that won't risk me losing any files or upgrading OS as I use a few programs where their current version on my current OS work perfectly and I'm afraid that by updating, I might lose some functionality or break something. Mainly Lightroom 5.7.1 (not working anymore) and Ableton Live 9.1 Suite (still working).

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2019 7:42 PM

Get a backup right now, if you don’t have one. One of the potential causes of this behavior is a hardware failure. A failing hard disk can show as beachballs, crashes, hangs, and corruptions.Then run the Apple diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test for whichever Mac this is. These tests don’t find all hardware errors, but they do report on some of the more common ones.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2019 7:42 PM in response to krazay88

Get a backup right now, if you don’t have one. One of the potential causes of this behavior is a hardware failure. A failing hard disk can show as beachballs, crashes, hangs, and corruptions.Then run the Apple diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test for whichever Mac this is. These tests don’t find all hardware errors, but they do report on some of the more common ones.

HELP - Finder, Spotlight and other apps aren't working - Yosemite 10.10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.