Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple ever going to extend MacBook Pro backlight repair program to include 2017 models ?

I purchased my MacBook Pro in august 2017. In the month of March 2019, one day I was working on da Vinci resolve and suddenly my display turned off and display started showing white and black patches on the bottom on the screen and display only works below 45 degree angle. I soon found out that I was due to fault in the backlight cable length. The issue has been dubbed as #flexgate. So, it’s a manufacturing defect. Apple did launch a repair program for 2016 models with similar issue and I have been waiting for past 8 months for Apple to extend the program to include 2017 13 inch models. It’s very expensive to repair my Mac and I have already visited Apple service centre 3 times in India in Delhi and Chandigarh at Unicorn AASP. But I seems there is NO HOPE. Serial no: C0***V22.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 9:20 PM

While AASP's do have to follow strict Apple guidelines in determining eligibility, the AASP can also escalate the issue to their service contacts within Apple to see if an exception can be granted. This is much harder now than it was several years ago for an AASP tech. The tech needs to be very persuasive to be successful in receiving an exception on behalf of the user. If your laptop truly is experiencing the exact same symptoms as the covered products, an AASP tech may be able to convince their service contacts within Apple to grant an exception. You should ask your AASP to try escalating this internally on your behalf. Just remember the AASP is still at the mercy of Apple, but at least it is one more chance for you.

I've also known people to escalate their own hardware issues to more senior management at Apple since the owner of the product usually has much better luck getting a repair exception granted than does the AASP. I'm not sure how these users went about contacting Apple to get these repair exceptions.

You may want to check any local consumer protection laws for your region.

At the very least you can provide product feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2019 9:20 PM in response to Vedamritam

While AASP's do have to follow strict Apple guidelines in determining eligibility, the AASP can also escalate the issue to their service contacts within Apple to see if an exception can be granted. This is much harder now than it was several years ago for an AASP tech. The tech needs to be very persuasive to be successful in receiving an exception on behalf of the user. If your laptop truly is experiencing the exact same symptoms as the covered products, an AASP tech may be able to convince their service contacts within Apple to grant an exception. You should ask your AASP to try escalating this internally on your behalf. Just remember the AASP is still at the mercy of Apple, but at least it is one more chance for you.

I've also known people to escalate their own hardware issues to more senior management at Apple since the owner of the product usually has much better luck getting a repair exception granted than does the AASP. I'm not sure how these users went about contacting Apple to get these repair exceptions.

You may want to check any local consumer protection laws for your region.

At the very least you can provide product feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Nov 30, 2019 8:51 PM in response to HWTech

I just called Apple and talked with senior advisor with this particular issue and he seems to agree that it is a manufacturing defect. But he said AASPs strictly follow guidelines provided by Apple and I cannot get any exception even if I am having the same issue like 2016 models and purchased my Mac during the same period of October 2016 and February 2018 during which affected mac’s were sold as described in backlight repair program link https://support.apple.com/en-in/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

Nov 30, 2019 5:33 PM in response to Vedamritam

Even though your laptop does not officially qualify for the free repair program you should take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they can grant you an exception since your laptop is experiencing the same symptoms as the 2016 model and your laptop was actually manufactured during the affected time period. The AASP will need to escalate the issue to Apple to see if Apple will provide an exception to allow a free repair. If you are unsuccessful with the Apple Store or the AASP, then I would contact Apple directly to see if they can grant you an exception.

Good luck.

Is Apple ever going to extend MacBook Pro backlight repair program to include 2017 models ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.