Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac G4 and OS9 Classic

Hello Experts!

Possible to install and run anything later than OS10.4.11 and still be able to run OS9 (Classic) on an IMAC G4 w/80 Gig HD? (possibly by partitioning the drive for each OS?)

Posted on Nov 30, 2019 2:34 PM

7 replies

Dec 17, 2019 6:33 PM in response to acpolish

Absolutely, Yes. if you partition a hard drive, you can have two separate bootable volumes with any version of the OS that your system supports. You can have the current Tiger with Classic on one partition, and Leopard on the other partition. You can't use the Classic when you are booted into Leopard, the support for Classic was retired in 10.5. But, like you originally thought, you can have a dual-boot system, with different OS versions installed on two different hard drives, or different partitions on the same hard drive. So, you can reboot into Tiger with Classic or Leopard anytime you want.

Just be aware, that the partitioning process will delete everything on your hard drive, so you need to have another hard drive to work with, or back up stuff to it first before modifying your current system. Good luck!

Jan 2, 2020 10:54 AM in response to Glen Doggett

Hello Glen

Thanks for your help, but all is for nothing. Turns out, according to the all mighty Apple Support techs, my trusty old iMac G4 Desktop is only capable of running Tiger OS10.4.11 as the latest OS. In reality, that's OK, as the only reason I use the iMac G4 is to run OS9.2 Classic. Too bad Safari, Firefox, etc won't run very well in the OS10.4.11 environment as it would be nice to use the internet to it's full advantage on the old G4, as well as the MacBook pro, running High Sierra. Every time I upgrade to the latest OS it becomes harder & harder to have my machines talking to each other.

I'm pretty sure the late great Steve Jobs is NOT resting in peace......

Cheers! and thanks for your effort.

All the best for the new year. May there finally be peace & prosperity for the world in the next decade.

Jan 2, 2020 6:57 PM in response to acpolish

"According to the all mighty Apple Support techs, my trusty old iMac G4 Desktop is only capable of running Tiger OS10.4.11 as the latest OS."

That's true if your iMac has the 700 or 800 MHz G4 processor. The iMacs with a 1.0 or 1.25 GHz G4 processor are capable of running Leopard, which requires an 867 MHz G4 processor or faster.

IMac G4 and OS9 Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.