Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers calculations = cumulative total

I've been trying to set up a simple cumulative total formula to give me a running balance of figures. I click on = to open the formula box. I want my balance in for example column D, add figures from column B and subtract figures from Column C. When I type in the column and row number for column D, it then inserts the value of column A which I don't want! I think I'm probably missing something simple but I dont know what!

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 12:52 AM

13 replies

Dec 4, 2019 2:55 AM in response to karolkollis

Hi Carol,

Can we take a look at your document? If you are OK with that:

• make a copy of your document;
  • remove all personal or sensitive information (you could insert made-up data);
  • upload the copy to a public sharing website such as Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com;
  • copy the link to the document and paste it here in a reply.

We will reply to you in this forum, Numbers for Mac.

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 1, 2019 3:38 AM in response to karolkollis

Rarely do you need to type the column letter or row number. Select cells and let Numbers do that for you.

For example, start with this:

Type = to call up the formula editor and select B1:B2.

Click the address token and uncheck Preserve Row under End:

Type - SUM at the end of the formula click the SUM in the bar that appears:

Click the value token and select cells C1:C2, giving you this:

Click the address token and uncheck sPreserve Row under End:

Click the check or hit return to accept the formula, select the cell and hover over the bottom edge of the cell and drag the yellow dot down the column:

Giving you this:

SG

Dec 2, 2019 3:26 PM in response to karolkollis

karolkollis wrote:

Hi Ian

I clicked on cell G800 and then = to open the formula box. Then I typed G799 in the formula box. It changed itself to the contents of cell B799 plus an extra £ symbol.

Why did you type G779? First type SUM so you get the sum formula, click the address token within it, then select (don't type) the cells you want. That sequence is illustrated in detail in my post above. Select the cells and let Numbers do the typing for you.

SG

Dec 4, 2019 2:01 AM in response to karolkollis

karolkollis wrote:

I typed a minus sign. I didn't type any commas!

You may think you didn't type a comma but the evidence strongly suggests that you did in fact do that.😀

What do you see when you turn off the 'Use header names as labels' as suggested?

Highly recommend having a look in your menu at Help > Numbers Help also at the templates at File > New.

SG

Numbers calculations = cumulative total

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.