Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode doesn't stop asking for permissions on macOS Catalina

Hello!

Since i have updated to macOS Catalina, Xcode keeps asking for permission to access the folder desktop. I am working with in and out files, so every singe time i run the code, it asks for permissions, and it simply drive me nuts. I know it is from the file and folders management that this os has "improved" for the security, but i just can't keep going like this.

Does anyone know how could i grant access forever to whatever Xcode wants? Would it help if i would make the projects somewhere else? Thank you so much!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 12:24 AM

Oops, sorry for not answering sooner. I forgot about this thread shortly after figuring it out. Open up "Finder," go to the search bar, search "users" (also make sure that you click the "on this Mac" option too), scroll around until you eventually find a folder that reads "Users" with a simple avatar on the folder (this is important that it is not just a generic folder), click on it, click on the house that should have your name followed by "folder" (i.e. dansfolder in my case), make a new folder there and throw all your Xcode projects into this new folder. The reason why this works is because the new update basically added a complicated and often agitating new level of security to your device's documents, downloads, and desktop folders. If you successfully make a new folder under "Users" and put all your Xcode projects there, you can bypass this security feature and use Xcode normally again. This worked for me and I hope works for you too!

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 12:24 AM in response to mihnea14

Oops, sorry for not answering sooner. I forgot about this thread shortly after figuring it out. Open up "Finder," go to the search bar, search "users" (also make sure that you click the "on this Mac" option too), scroll around until you eventually find a folder that reads "Users" with a simple avatar on the folder (this is important that it is not just a generic folder), click on it, click on the house that should have your name followed by "folder" (i.e. dansfolder in my case), make a new folder there and throw all your Xcode projects into this new folder. The reason why this works is because the new update basically added a complicated and often agitating new level of security to your device's documents, downloads, and desktop folders. If you successfully make a new folder under "Users" and put all your Xcode projects there, you can bypass this security feature and use Xcode normally again. This worked for me and I hope works for you too!

Dec 7, 2019 10:50 PM in response to mihnea14

Have you tried going to "System Preferences," "Security and Privacy," searching up "iCloud," going to the options button, and then unchecking the desktop and document folder? If you have tried that, did it work? I feel like the iCloud has created two clones of our Xcode projects, which is why is keeps asking for permission.

Dec 17, 2019 5:50 PM in response to mihnea14

Even with a simple C++ program, it keeps asking for folder permissions every time I compile the code. I've give both terminal and Xcode fill disk access permission, but nothing helps. It's really annoying.

It is must because of that after compilation, the executable file changed, and Catalina viewed it as a different file than the one before that I've already gave file access to. I would wish there's an option that I could simply turn the "security feature" of Catalina off.

Dec 19, 2019 12:49 PM in response to TroyWang

But, by default, don't our Xcode projects have to go into one of these folders? Is there another folder on a Mac to move our projects to or are you referring to moving our files to an external medium like a flash drive? I'm sorry, I just got my MacBook Air in September so I'm not exactly a pro with Apple technology. Let me know the best solution that worked for you because I need to code for my college classes, haha.

Xcode doesn't stop asking for permissions on macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.