You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choosing default font in macOS Mail – for display only?

Hi all,

I'm currently experimenting with different typeface in macOS Mail. I've noticed that when choosing a default font through the preference pane, this font is applied to all (also previously) composed emails. However, when opening an email (with a new standard font applied) on my iPhone or iPad, the body text has changed back to the default iOS Mail font, whilst the email signature remains with the original, new formatting.

When manually choosing the font while composing the email in macOS Mail, the correct font appears also in iOS (and not the default iOS font). As you probably agree, manually formatting every email just to be able to apply a different font is out of the question.

It may seem that choosing a new default font in macOS Mail mostly has to do with appearance/display on my own Mac, and does not affect the actual font when the email is opened on other devices or by other recipients. Am I correct?

I am using web safe fonts (Palatino) and the newest macOS Catalina build.

Highly appreciate any help on how to change the actual font in macOS Mail – or if I've misunderstood it all!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 12:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 1:39 PM

thormod_rk wrote:

choosing a new default font in macOS Mail mostly has to do with appearance/display on my own Mac, and does not affect the actual font when the email is opened on other devices or by other recipients. Am I correct?

Yes, Mail has always worked that way. Users who want to be able to set a default font for outgoings which is seen by the recipients have to use as different app. Outlook is probably the most common.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 1, 2019 1:39 PM in response to thormod_rk

thormod_rk wrote:

choosing a new default font in macOS Mail mostly has to do with appearance/display on my own Mac, and does not affect the actual font when the email is opened on other devices or by other recipients. Am I correct?

Yes, Mail has always worked that way. Users who want to be able to set a default font for outgoings which is seen by the recipients have to use as different app. Outlook is probably the most common.

Dec 1, 2019 1:55 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the quick response.

Just after posting this I looked at the source code for newly sent messages composed using the new default font (Palatino), and it did say Palatino (and the Palatino Roman font family) was selected. I was a bit relieved, to be honest – before getting your reply! Any idea why the source code says Palatino if Mail doesn't really change the default font, only the appearance?

Dec 1, 2019 2:18 PM in response to thormod_rk

I don't know if it still works the same, but Mail essentially sends messages as plain text unless you make a formatting change. The font in the message code is just a suggestion, not required. If you make a change to the default format, the message is sent as a styled message, using rtf or html (not sure which).

And, in case it wasn't clear in the previous workaround, you have to set a different default "viewing" font from the one you want to send with. It is the change of formatting that triggers the formatted email.

Dec 1, 2019 2:19 PM in response to thormod_rk

thormod_rk wrote:

I looked at the source code for newly sent messages

Do you mean you did View > Message > Raw Source on a message in your Sent folder and found the correct html code for the font chosen in Mail > Preferences > Fonts and Colors?

Palatino should then be displayed at the other end, assuming they have that font installed and are not using an email app that has rich text switched off.

Perhaps something has changed recently, will check

Dec 2, 2019 5:03 AM in response to thormod_rk

thormod_rk wrote:

I just strongly believe there‘s more sophisticated fonts out there for emailing than Helvetica!

It's more a question of whether one thinks the recipient should be able to see email in a font they prefer or be forced to see what the sender chooses. Mail defaults to letting your recipients choose their own font. But strangely it forces you to see what is chosen by senders (and lacks a setting available in some clients to see only the plain text version of incomings).

Choosing default font in macOS Mail – for display only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.