Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

invisibles on iPad & iPhone not showing ☹️

I'm using Pages on my iPad and iPhone but it does NOT show invisibles automatically when I highlight a section or paragraph. And there’s no pulldown menu like on my laptop to select “View,” etc.

I’m editing a long document and I can’t find an answer to this anywhere.

😠😡🤬 This is driving me crazy! Does anyone know the answer to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

gmzlondon

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 1, 2019 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 1:39 PM

Thank you for elaborating. I have looked into this and Pages for iPad does not support view these invisibles without highlighting your document. Here is a screenshot of what I see whenever I highlight a test document as well as an excerpt from the Pages user guide.

3 replies

Dec 2, 2019 11:30 PM in response to QuickPost

Hey zmclearan,

Thank you so much for replying to my original query. When I say “invisibles” I mean all the spaces, paragraph marks, and formatting that is within a document, but not seen on a regular page proof.

I used to work in QuarkXPress, and there was a command that would turn them on or off. When I do final proofreads on super-long and/or complicated material it makes a HUGE difference be able easily spot double spaces, messed up formatting, etc., which can be difficult to see with certain fonts just by eyeballing a page (or 500!).

I totally understand the Mac pulldown menu option, which allows that same ability to turn on/turn off the extra characters. Having them visible can get tiresome and eye-straining when you’re trying to read for sense rather than checking mechanical issues.

However, the “just highlight any paragraph and the invisibles will magically appear” instructions that are supposed to be the answer for iPhones and iPads hasn’t worked for me so far. I‘ve been able to see some formatting between paragraphs, but never any spacing or more complicated stuff.

Sorry this is so absurdly long … I hope I explained well enough for you to understand my quandry.

And thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge that you might impart (if you’ve managed not to 💤 😴 before now!).

— gmzlondon (Giulia 🐾)

P.S. My overall patience for working in Pages is wearing very thin — hopefully, I’ll win the lottery and be able to afford InDesign someday soon! 😃

invisibles on iPad & iPhone not showing ☹️

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.