Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad internet connection between Mac pro and home router (Wifi and Ethernet)

Hey guys,

I'm facing a weird problem with my Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2012 model and my Asus AC1700 router.

Connection is very limited and ping is very high. I tried Wi-Fi which resulted in a terrible internet connection, and switched to Ethernet which gave a little better result, but still nothing compared to the regular speed I get on my iPhone or MacBook Pro.

I tried every solution online and reset all Network preferences with no luck.

The download speed rate remains at 1-2Mbps through Ethernet, while it's 10Mbps on all other connected devices through Wi-Fi.

Here are the Airport Extreme card specs:

•   Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x8E)
  •   Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.102.31)
  •   MAC Address: 44:d8:84:6d:ca:e4
  •   Locale: ETSI
  •   Country Code: X3
  •   Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
  •   Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140
  •   Wake On Wireless: Supported
  •   AirDrop: Supported

Does anyone have any recommendations or solutions?

Thanks.

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 2, 2019 3:25 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 2, 2019 6:01 PM in response to ChristianAM

The 2012 model were sold with a new feature -- 802.11n 450. That means they were capable of going up to 450 M Bits/sec under ideal conditions using three antennas with 802.11n.

Hold down the Option key while you click on the Wi-Fi Icon on the menubar. You get a snapshot like this older one:

Screen shot or transcribe the value in the snapshot, and answer:

"How many Networks do you see?"

Dec 3, 2019 12:37 PM in response to ChristianAM

<<Is it possible the Airport Extreme card has some issue?>>

Your Wi-Fi card may have its antennas disconnected, or the card may have essentially failed. Right next to the Router should give you an RSSI near -50 or Higher, i.e., closer to zero).

--------

Unless your cables are mis-wired, it is nearly impossible to be getting similar awful results over Ethernet. Use Network Utility, which should be in:

/Applications/Utilities ...

... to examine the Ethernet interface. Its report should resemble this one:

Dec 3, 2019 7:08 AM in response to ChristianAM

Your Router is using Channel 11on the very busy and interference-prone 2.4GHz band.

You do not have a lot of competition showing here, but your signal strength is -78 dB, and noise is at -85, leaving a signal-to-noise of only 7 dB, which is horrible. You are lucky to be getting a connection at all.

If you were right on top of the Router, you would expect to see RSSI between -50 and -10, and speeds of 300 or higher if there were no interference from other networks.

If you wish to continue to use Wi-Fi, you will need to re-configure your Network, possibly decreasing the distance between the nearest Router and your Mac Pro.

I made a mistake in my comment above about the capabilities of the 2012 MacBook Pro having 802.11n at 450. In re-reading, I see that yours is a Mac Pro 2012, which should have similar capabilities. I regret the error.

If you have Ethernet, you should use Ethernet. 100 M bits/sec should be easy to attain in almost any setup. With correctly-wired 8-conductor cables, you may be able to reach Gigabit speeds if your Router supports it.

Dec 3, 2019 10:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I moved the Mac Pro right next to the router and still gave very similar numbers, and same speed as well.

What's even more frustrating is that after plugging Ethernet, I was still unable to get more than 1Mbps. The speed only increase slightly.

Is it possible the Airport Extreme card has some issue?

I also noticed a lot of lagging with my Magic Mouse, and some minor while typing on the keyboard.

Bad internet connection between Mac pro and home router (Wifi and Ethernet)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.