Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating user to new Mac but need to set users home?

I need to migrate a user from one mac on an old version of OS to a newly fully update Mac. The OS on the new Mac is on an external SSD drive and the user's home directory needs to be on the Mac's internal hard drive. Can I do this with the migration assistance. I only want to migrate the user as all the apps are already on the new Mac. I want to keep passwords, etc. for the user from the old system.

Thanks,

Jim

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 2, 2019 1:01 PM

3 replies

Dec 2, 2019 5:43 PM in response to jamesfrommagalia

Yes, you can migrate a user account from one install to another. However, I'm confused where the source is and where you want the account to end up.

You need to be logged into the Mac where you want the migrated user to end up. You also do not want to create the user before migrating. I think it can recover from that if you have already created the account, but it is best to let Migration Assistant create the account.

Dec 2, 2019 8:58 PM in response to Barney-15E

The source is on the older Mac. The target Mac has two drives. A) an external SSD drive with the OS on it. B) an internal hard drive for user files, etc. There is not sufficient space on the SSD drive to hold the restored user data. The user data needs to end up on the internal hard drive. I don't see any way to tell the migration assistant to put the migrated user files on the hard drive. I assume by default they will end up on the same drive that the system is booted from (the external SSD drive). I am looking for a way to tell the migration assistant where to put the user's home directory.

Migrating user to new Mac but need to set users home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.