Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I play music from my iphone via wifi to an external receiver to play music on external speakers located throughout my house

How can I play music from my iphone via wifi to an external receiver to play music on external speakers located throughout my house. The Airport Express is how I used to do it but it is no longer supported by Apple. I do not want to use Bluetooth to do this.

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 3:10 PM

If you "turn on" a new mesh system, you can then reconfigure the AirPort Express to "join" that mesh network. Then connect the Express to the receiver and AirPlay will work fine.

In other words, you don't need for the AirPort Express to be broadcasting a WiFi signal for AirPlay to work. The Express will simply "receive" the WiFi signal from a third party network and work just fine.

Plenty of new AV receivers have been introduced in the last few years that have AirPlay capability built in, so the receiver simply connects to the WiFi network. No Express is needed at all.

Shop Receivers With AirPlay | Free Shipping w/ Prime‎Adwww.amazon.com/‎

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2019 3:10 PM in response to Vilyam2

If you "turn on" a new mesh system, you can then reconfigure the AirPort Express to "join" that mesh network. Then connect the Express to the receiver and AirPlay will work fine.

In other words, you don't need for the AirPort Express to be broadcasting a WiFi signal for AirPlay to work. The Express will simply "receive" the WiFi signal from a third party network and work just fine.

Plenty of new AV receivers have been introduced in the last few years that have AirPlay capability built in, so the receiver simply connects to the WiFi network. No Express is needed at all.

Shop Receivers With AirPlay | Free Shipping w/ Prime‎Adwww.amazon.com/‎

Dec 3, 2019 11:40 AM in response to Vilyam2

While it is true that Apple discontinued the AirPort Express and other Apple routers in April 2018, the products remain for sale on Ebay.com, which has new, refurbished and used AirPort Expresses for sale.

If the external receiver can accept an HDMI audio input signal, then any of the Apple TVs would do what you want for AirPlay. But, the Apple TV does not have an analog audio output option like the AirPort Express.

Dec 3, 2019 2:16 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your reply. I already have an Airport Express and it works fine but I want to put in a mesh wifi network and get rid of the other dead spots in my house. The problem is my cable modem will only support one wifi network so if I turn on a new mesh wifi network I have to turn off the Airport Extreme/Express. And then I have no way to broadcast via wifi, itunes from my phone to my receiver and wired speaker system throughout the house. My receiver does not have an input for HDMI so I can't use an Apple TV. I must say I'm surprised there are not thousands of people who have this same problem. That is, how do you broadcast via wifi, iphone music to a receiver that lacks an HDMI input (and do it without using an Airport Express wifi network)?

How can I play music from my iphone via wifi to an external receiver to play music on external speakers located throughout my house

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.